The work with my voice students were some of the happiest days of my life.
B.S. University of Maryland; M.M. in Voice Performance University of Maryland; D.M.A. in Voice Performance the University of Michigan
- Dr. Aiosa continues to serve as a judge for various vocal competitions in the Region. She most recently completed judging for the Northern Virginia Music Teachers Association.
- Many of Charlotte Aiosa's students have had success in the professional world of performance. Robert J. Spencer, a graduate of the Music Theater department, starred in the Broadway musical, Next to Normal, for which he received a Tony nomination for Best Actor in a Musical. Amy Lynn Call, a current DMA student in voice performance, has received contracts to perform in the Chemnitz Opera in Germany, Wichita Opera to sing Siebel in Gounod's Faust as well at to cover the role of Margarite, the Bel Cantanti Opera of Washington, D.C. to sing the role of Konstanze, and most recently to sing the role of Violetta in La Traviata by Verdi.Other graduates have gone on to do graduate programs at schools such as Peabody Conservatory in Baltimore, The New England School of Music, and the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor.Other recent graduates have taken positions at colleges and universities around the country including Bloomsburg University in PA; Grove City College, PA., etc.
- Charlotte Nelson Aiosa was the recipient of the Rackham Fellowship for graduate study at the University of Michigan. She continued her vocal studies at the Aspen Summer Music Festival Opera Program. Her teachers include James McDonald, Leslie Quinn, and Louise McClelland Urban.
- She has performed various operatic roles including Mimi in La Boheme, Gretel in Hansel and Gretel, Marie in The Bartered Bride, and Emma in the Washington premier of Thomas Albert's Lizbeth. She has been a soloist in Mozart's Requiem, Handel's Missa Brevis and Solomon, as well as Mendelssohn's Hymn of Praise and Elijah. She has also performed as soprano soloist with guest American choruses in Bayreuth and the Halle Music Festival in Germany.
- Dr. Aiosa was elected to the office of Governor for the Mid-Atlantic Region of NATS and she is the past President and Vice President of the Virginia Chapter of the National Association of Teachers of Singing. She is a member of Sigma Alpha Iota and Pi Kappa Lambda. Her greatest joy was presenting solo vocal repertoire in recital and did develope a keen interest in the music of American, French and German composers. Currently her interests lie in teaching advanced singers who are preparing for professional carriers.
Dr. Aiosa is happily residing in Pennsylvania with her husband since retiring from SU in 2013. Her memories of the 34 years of teaching at SU are full of the joy and happiness she has shared with colleagues, friends and students.