Van Buren Woodwind Quintet and Ensemble
B.M. Guildhall School of Music (London)
- Jonathan Snowden was born in Somerset, England. He studied at the Guildhall School of Music in London with Peter Lloyd, Trevor Wye and William Bennett. He was considered an outstanding student and won the Laurie Kennedy Memorial Prize and the Park Lane Group Recital Prize.
- Jonathan is one of Britain's premier solo flautists. He was made Principal Flute of the English National Opera North Orchestra on his 21st birthday! Two years later he was appointed Principal Flute with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, and subsequently held the same position with the London Philharmonic Orchestra and the Philharmonia Orchestra. His performance experience is all encompassing and he has also played in many London West End shows including Andrew Lloyd Webber's Evita and Love Never Dies. He has regularly broadcast on the BBC and made numerous television appearances.
- Jonathan has established himself as an international artist of the highest standing. His engagements have included concerto tours in Europe, the United States and Japan. He has been invited by Lorin Maazel to play with the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra and by Seiji Ozawa to play with the Boston Symphony Orchestra. He has performed as soloist with orchestras including the Royal Philharmonic, London Philharmonic, Bournemouth Symphony under Andrew Litton, BBC National Orchestra of Wales and St. Louis Symphony. He has always been in demand as a session musician and by many composers such as Danny Elfman, Hans Zimmer and Gabriel Yared to record their film scores. Just a few examples from his extensive recording list include: Shrek - Forever After, The Dark Knight, The Da Vinci Code, and Tomb Raider. He has recorded and performed with popular artists as diverse as Bjork, Sting, Sir Cliff Richard and Elvis Costello and even played for Sir Paul McCartney's wedding! He has held recitals throughout Europe, Japan and the United States all to critical acclaim.
- As well as appearing at the British Flute Society's events, Jonathan has appeared regularly by invitation to perform and teach as part of the National Flute Association's (NFA) annual convention. In support of proposals sent to the NFA, Dr. Brooks de Wetter-Smith, a J.G. Haynes Distinguished Professor at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill stated, "His comments were insightful, supportive&everyone seemed to hang on to every word. His playing was wonderful... He brings solid orchestral and solo experience to his teaching." The Powell Flute Company, Brannen-Cooper Brothers and Muramatsu Flute Company have sponsored him as a guest artist for master classes. He conducts his own international summer flute school in the US and England as well as appearing as a guest artist and master teacher at other courses including the Oxford Summer School and Trinity College. He has also been published in various flute journals including Pan, Windplayer and Flute Talk.
- As a flute professor, Jonathan has served on the faculty of the Royal College of Music, London and the London College of Music. He has also regularly given masterclasses and examined for DIT Conservatory of Music, Dublin, London College of Music, The Royal Academy of Music and Trinity Laban Conservatoire, London as well as having given masterclasses at The Juilliard School and Manhattan School of Music in New York. He is a Diploma Examiner for The Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music.
- Jonathan Snowden can be heard as soloist on Virgin, EMI, Decca, Naxos and Hyperion recording labels amongst others. Critics from international press and recording journals have described his playing as "outstandingly lovely", "compelling, individual and spontaneous" and "radiantly beautiful, warm in tone and winningly direct."
- Jonathan is Artist In Residence at The Levine School of Music, Washington DC.
I have two children, Rosie and Toby who are a joy. The years I spent as principal flute with the London Philharmonic Orchestra and the special friendship and musical rapport I had with our wonderful Principal Conductor, Klaus Tennstedt was a privilege I will always cherish. All things in nature and the countryside fulfill and inspire me.
Jonathan Snowden at Shenandoah
Jonathan Snowden High School Workshop
July 7th-11th 2014. Join us for a five-day course that will transform your playing! The program includes daily master classes given by world renowned flutist, Jonathan Snowden.
Full and detailed information about Jonathan Snowden, Professor of Flute at Shenandoah Conservatory