Students have the opportunity to learn so much here. Over these many years, I've seen students grow tremendously, as musicians and as professionals in various fields in the arts.
B.A., Eastern Washington University; M.A., University of Oregon; D.M.A., Shenandoah University
- Director of Jazz Studies
- His recent book, Arranging for the Small Jazz Ensemble (Armfield Academic Press), has drawn rave reviews from jazz educators.
- He is the host of the National Jazz Workshop.
- His articles have been published in the VMEA Journal and JazzEd.
- He has presented at the National Association of Jazz Educators.
- He has performed and recorded with the finest musicians in the Washington DC area. He is the pianist on the critically acclaimed Alan Baylock Jazz Orchestra CD, Two Seconds to Midnight.
- As director of the Shenandoah Conservatory Jazz Ensemble from 1987-2000, he arranged and conducted performances with jazz greats Billy Taylor, Bob Berg, Randy Brecker, Conrad Herwig, and many others. He also directed international tours for the group to Europe, China, and Japan.
- During his tenure as Director of Jazz Studies, he assembled one of the finest jazz faculties in the nation, as well as assisting in the development of the Jazz Studies and Music Production and Recording Technology programs.
Presented at conferences such as the International Association of Jazz Educators, The National Jazz Workshop, and the Jazz Education Network Annual Conference.Served on the Virginia Commission for the Arts Touring Panel.Served on the board of First Night Winchester.