Teaching both bassoon and music theory at Shenandoah allows me the special opportunity to work with a wide range of learners. It is always so interesting to see how classroom and applied instruction intertwine and inform each other. It also keeps life interesting--on any given day, I get to cover an incredibly broad range of topics with some truly incredible students.
B.M.E., Ohio State University; M.M., D.M.A., Michigan State University
- 8 February 2014--Solo Performance of Andante and Hungarian Rondo by Carl Maria von Weber with the Shenandoah Conservatory Wind Ensemble
- 26 June 2013--Voices from Shenandoah--Solo Performance of works by SU composers (Averitt, Brown, Triplett) at the International Double Reed Society Convention in Redlands, CA
- 10 July 2012-Two works for bassoon and piano by Henri Challan at the International Double Reed Society Conference in Oxford, OH
- 24 September 2011--Solo Performance of the Ciranda das Sete Notas by Heitor Villa-Lobos with the Shenandoah Conservatory Symphony Orchestra
- Summer 2011--Appointed Instructor of Bassoon at New England Music Camp (NEMC)
- 3 June 2011--Solo Performance of Serge Lancen's Sonatine at the International Double Reed Society Conference in Tempe, AZ
- 24 June 2010--Solo Recital at the International Double Reed Society Conference in Norman, OK
- 12 February 2009--Solo Performance of the Gordon Jacob Bassoon Concerto with the Shenandoah Conservatory Wind Ensemble.
Interests: bassoon and reed-making pedagogy, chamber music performance and history, theory pedagogy, visual art and art history. Setup: Fox 660 #44966 with a Leitzinger platinum MV2 bocal. Garfield-style reeds.
Professional website for Ryan Romine. Includes helpful information and links for bassoonists, parents, and college applicants.
Link to recent recordings featuring Ryan Romine.
Website for New England Music Camp (NEMC), a wonderful summer program for young musicians, ages 11-18, located in Sidney, ME.