Prerequisites for the Career Switcher Program
Career Switcher prospects must submit a complete application package prior to being accepted into the Career Switcher Program:
- Advanced Deposit Form
- Application Form
- Report on Experience Form(s) verifying five years of full-time work experience (or its equivalent)
- Transcripts showing a Bachelor’s Degree from a regionally accredited college/university
- Passing Praxis II (subject area content) score
- Passing Virginia Communications and Language Assessment (VCLA) test scores: in both the Reading and Writing subtests
- An up-to-date resume
- Criminal background check (this is initiated through the University)
Detailed information regarding submission of these forms and documents may be found on our APPLY NOW! page.
Shenandoah University can review your transcripts and discuss your background and interests with you in order to help determine what subjects you are best suited to teach.
If you earned your Bachelor’s Degree outside of the USA, please note that you must have your transcript evaluated by an accreditation agency. This must be a course by course evaluation. Click HERE for a list of agencies approved by the VDOE to review transcripts from foreign countries.
Endorsement Areas Offered through SU’s Career Switcher program
Shenandoah University accepts the following areas of endorsement in our Career Switcher program:
- Mathematics 6-12
- English 6-12
- History and Social Science 6-12
- Earth Science
- Foreign Languages preK-12
- Technology Education
- Family & Consumer Sciences
- Business & Information Technology
- Marketing Education
- ALL Middle School Subjects
- Health and Physical Education preK-12
- Music K-12
- Art K-12
Please note that Elementary Education, Special Education and ESL are not areas of endorsement offered through the Shenandoah University’s Career switcher program.
Criminal Background Checks
Prior to final acceptance to the SU Career Switcher program, all participants must undergo a criminal background check through Shenandoah University. Information will be distributed to students about this process. Please note that this background check includes a Department of Motor Vehicle (DMV) check. The fee for this check is in addition to the tuition for the Career Switcher program.
Applicants with any concerns regarding their criminal background check should contact the Coordinator of Education Outreach prior to applying for the program. Some school divisions require their own background check and students completing a field experience in those districts will complete an additional background check at the school division’s expense. Students will be notified of this additional check when beginning their practicum field experience.