Feltner Museum at 9 Court Square
This historic property in downtown Winchester, formerly known as 9 Court Square, is a complex of seven buildings situated on the first public lots surveyed by James Wood in 1744, in what became Winchester in 1752. The property was a donation from Mr. Wilbur M. Feltner in 2011.
The property saw many incarnations over the years, hosting establishments as varied as the Palace Bar, law offices, the county clerk’s office and the A&N store. In 1994, Farmer & Merchants Bank President Wilbur M. Feltner announced plans to renovate the 9 Court Square complex. The overhaul of the property was a two-year, multi-million dollar project that brought a much-needed boost to efforts to revitalize Old Town Winchester.
A museum is now the center attraction of the Feltner Building. The Feltner Museum includes extensive memorabilia from the F&M Bank, as well as the antique oil lamp collection donated by Mrs. Helen Feltner, and Mr. Feltner’s beer steins collected in their travels. Throughout the Museum are paintings and sculpture from a variety of artists. These include original oils from Mort Kunstler and paintings by John Chumley, Lynn Blakemoor, LeRoy Neiman, John Leone and Don Black. The Museum is open one Saturday afternoon each month during the academic year, or by appointment. Admission is free. For more information about hours and visiting the Museum, contact Christopher Bean at 540-665-4553.
Wilbur M. Feltner
Wilbur Feltner was one of the local community leaders who worked to move Shenandoah to Winchester from Dayton, Va. in 1960. Mr. Feltner has been an active supporter of the university for many years. He served as a member of the board of trustees for 20 years, 1964 until 1992, serving on its development committee for many years when it moved to Winchester, and is currently a trustee emeritus at Shenandoah. He was awarded an honorary doctorate of laws degree from the university in 1995.
A 1938 graduate of Clarke County High School, Feltner and his family struggled through the Great Depression. In 1942, he was employed at Farmers & Merchants National Bank. After three and a half years in the Army Air Corps, he returned to Farmers & Merchants Bank as a cashier. In 1963, Feltner was appointed president of F&M Bank.