What We Do
The ACT working group developed the following standards for teaching with technology in video teleconferencing (VTC) and general classrooms to assist in forecasting costs and installation schedules:
- Continue to refine the classroom standard(s) in a dynamic environment.
- Continue HDMI and Apple TV conversions in all buildings.
- Maintain documentation for classroom technology.
- Provide faculty support for using classroom technology.
Digital Transition Initiative
Through the Digital Transition Initiative, ACT replaces analog classroom equipment with state-of-the-art digital components, which should extend podium equipment life 6 to 10 years.
- The multi-year plan started in 2015 to upgrade existing technology classrooms to meet new digital standards.
- Deferred maintenance and a lack of a replacement cycle plan resulted in a large number of classrooms using analog VGA equipment. Through the Digital Transition Initiative, ACT has been replacing analog classroom equipment with digital equipment.
- Adding wireless presentation capacity (Apple TV) to digital rooms to keep up with changes in MacBook hardware design and port options (such as Firewire and Thunderbolt) will help create a more sustainable and consistent teaching environment.
- Continue to secure funding for classroom upgrades.
- Work with external partners to develop and sustain coherence in funding room upgrades in a timely manner that capitalizes on 1) the human capital in ACT to affect these changes, and 2) the academic calendar. Historically external funds have not been available to effectively optimize classroom technology upgrade projects.
- Improve coordination with external partners in the project management process for room upgrades, including funding, purchasing, and installation of equipment into learning spaces.
- The ACT classroom technology refresh standard is based on a 6-year industry standard.
- Develop a formal refresh cycle for critical systems based upon a 5-7 year time frame for video teleconferencing (VTC) rooms.
- Develop a plan for transition to next generation AV technology in VTC rooms including AV over IP and AV bridging.