Established in 1914, Omicron Delta Kappa (O∆K) was the first college honor society of a national scope to accord recognition and honor for meritorious leadership and service in extracurricular activities and to encourage the development of general campus citizenship.
Since then O∆K has taken firm root in over 300 colleges and universities around the nation. Omicron Delta Kappa places emphasis upon the development of the whole person, both as a present member of his/her college community and as a prospective contributor to a better society.
Become a Member
In order to become a member, you need to be nominated by a faculty member, staff member, or current O∆K member; complete the membership nominee form; and be selected for induction. Students who are selected to join O∆K, are notified by being “tapped” into the organization by a current member.
If selected to join O∆K (you will be notified in November):
- Students selected to join O∆K will also need to complete the online membership application.
- As our gift to you, we will pay $48.00 of your one-time fee of $88.00. You are responsible for $40.00 of your lifetime fee.
- Current O∆K Members will host a paperwork and headshot workshop. Students that are chosen to be inducted should plan on dropping by one of these workshops.
On January 27, 2019 the Shenandoah University Omicron Delta Kappa (O∆K) Circle inducted 28 students into its ranks. O∆K is a national leadership honor society that recognizes and encourages superior scholarship, leadership and exemplary character. Congratulations to all of the new members of O∆K!
The Purpose of The Omicron Delta Kappa Society is Threefold:
First, to recognize those who have attained a high standard of efficiency in collegiate activities and to inspire others to strive for conspicuous attainments along similar lines;
Second, to bring together the most representative students in all phases of collegiate life and thus to create an organization which will help to mold the sentiment of the institution on questions of local and intercollegiate interest;
Third, to bring together members of the faculty and student body of the institution, as well as other Omicron Delta Kappa members, on a basis of mutual interest and understanding.
Membership in Omicron Delta Kappa is as much an obligation and responsibility in citizenship as it is a mark of highest distinction and honor. Membership is awarded to undergraduate junior and senior students, to students of graduate and professional schools and colleges of the institution, to members of the faculty and administration, and to alumni. Election to membership is on the basis of merit, is irrespective of a person’s affiliation with other organizations.
The Five Indispensable Qualifications for Membership include exemplary character, responsible leadership and service in campus or community life, superior scholarship, genuine fellowship, and consecration to democratic ideals.
- A pin and certificate indicating your lifetime membership into the circle
- The opportunity to receive regular publications and resource materials to support your leadership development
- The opportunity to get other students to become leaders
- Job related networking opportunities with over 250,000 current O∆K members and hundreds of thousands of alumni and honorary members worldwide.
To learn more about Omicron Delta Kappa, please visit odk.org.