Frequently Asked Questions
- Is there a graduate rehearsal?
Yes, rehearsal attendance is mandatory – with the exception of students who have finals during this time frame. Commencement Rehearsal will be held on Thursday May 10th from 5:30pm-6:30pm at the James R. Wilkins, Jr. Athletics & Events Center.
- How long can I expect the ceremony to last?
Guests should allow between 2 1/2 – 3 hours for the commencement ceremony.
- Do graduates and their guests need tickets or parking passes?
There will be tickets issued for general admission seating for guests. There are specified tickets for seating and parking required for the ADA & Special Accommodations Section. General parking is free and guests will be directed to designated parking lots.
- Will there be shuttles available from parking lots to the commencement site?
Yes! A detailed map indicating where guests can park will be made available in March. Guests are required to park in specific lots where there will be frequent shuttles servicing to the the commencement site.
- What happens if it rains?
The commencement ceremony will continue as planned if it is raining as it will be held inside the James R. Wilkins, Jr. Athletics & Events Center.
- Can guests take pictures at commencement?
Yes, however, due to fire code regulations guests must stay seated in the guest seating area and should be respectful of the other guests by not blocking aisles or views. Please scroll below to read more about the photography services that are offered on commencement day by the university.
- Who is eligible for honors?
Only undergraduate students are eligible for honors.
- Do you have wheelchairs available for guests?
SU will have a few wheelchairs available for guests on a first-come, first-served basis. Guests are strongly encouraged to bring their own.
- What happens if I arrive late to the ceremony?
Graduates who arrive late should check in with a staff member. They will be able to assist you in getting your reader card, assist you to your seat, and/or within the lineup.
- Can I sit with my friends during commencement?
All students are required to sit within their degree program/major.
- I am not attending commencement, will my name still appear in the program?
Yes, the names of all candidates for degrees will be listed, even if they choose not to participate in the ceremony.
- Why is my name not in the commencement program?
Names are typically not included in the program due to late clearances or late applications, therefore not meeting the printing deadline for the program.
- Will I receive my diploma during the ceremony?
Graduates will receive their diploma approximately 6-8 weeks after the ceremony to the address given on the graduation application, as long as all academic requirements are met and verified.
- Is the ceremony recorded for viewing later?
Yes, the ceremony is recorded and will be posted to SU’s YouTube page the week or so following the ceremony.
- Will there be any food or drinks available for purchase during commencement?
Yes, Sodexo will have food service set up with various snacks, sandwiches, and drinks for purchase.
The President’s Reception will be held immediately follow the commencement ceremony, with assorted finger foods.
- Where can graduates pick up their cap and gown?
Graduates can pick up their cap and gown during Grad Finale on April 4, 2018 from 8 am – 4 pm in the Brandt Student Center or at the Campus Bookstore during their normal business hours, 9 am – 5 pm, after the Grad Finale event.
- Is there a graduate rehearsal?