Shenandoah University offers the following benefits to our full time and part time benefited employees.
*Healthcare Insurance – Shenandoah University offers three options for health plans through Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield.
- Plan 1 a PPO plan offers in-network co-pay: $20 for office visits, $30 specialists visits and urgent care; $75 for emergency room; $15/$30/$50 for pharmacy. Most other services are covered at 90%. Out-of-network: covered at 80% with a calendar year deductible of $600 for individual, $1200 for family.
- Plan 2 -2700 offers a lower health insurance premium and qualifies for access to a health savings account. This plan offers a $2800/$5600 deductible (in-network) with 100% coinsurance.
- Plan 3 -3500 offers an affordable premium based on the Affordable Care Act safe harbor requirement. This plan offers a $3500/$7000 deductible (in-network) with 80% coinsurance and allows access to a health savings account.
Annual exams and preventive tests performed at in-network providers are covered at 100% with no cost for all the plans listed above.
*Dental Insurance -100% coverage for diagnostic and preventive care, other services covered at 80% and 50%, a calendar year deductible of $50 for individual, $100 for family. There is a $1500.00 calendar year maximum benefit. Orthodontic benefit payable at 50% after deductible up to lifetime maximum of $1500.
Dental, vision and hearing insurance (Healthgram) are included in the group healthcare insurance package.
*Voluntary Vision and Dental Insurance – An employee who elects not to be enrolled in our healthcare group insurance may purchase the vision and/or dental insurance on a voluntary basis for themselves and their family members. The premium is paid pre-tax through payroll deductions.
*Flexible Spending Account Plan – Based on Section 125 of the Internal Revenue Code, allows the employee to establish a Flexible Spending account to pay for eligible unreimbursed medical expenses and/or dependent care expenses on a before-tax basis. Amounts can be allocated up to $2,600 per calendar year for health care expenses and up to $5,000 per calendar year for dependent care expenses. Health FSA is only allowed with option 1 health insurance plan. Dependent care accounts may be with any of the healthcare plans.
*Health Savings Accounts – An HSA is a tax-free savings account that works with a qualified health plan to help you pay your insurance deductible and qualified out-of-pocket medical expenses. Contribution limits are $3400 for individual and $6650 for family. An HSA allows for tax savings and is an investment that belongs to the employee that can be used for medical care expenses now, or in the future. Shenandoah University has affiliated with HealthEquity allowing payroll deductions for the employee’s HSA. You may only use an HSA with healthcare plan options 2 and 3.
Life, Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance – Provided at no cost to the employee. Coverage is three times the annual salary. Coverage amounts beyond $50,000 are subject to taxes based on IRS regulations.
*Supplemental Life Insurance – A voluntary benefit to add additional life insurance for an employee, a spouse/partner, or children. The employee elected premium rate is paid after-tax on a voluntary basis through payroll deductions.
Disability Insurance – Eligible after 6 months of service and provided at no cost to the employee. Short Term Disability Insurance is coverage at 60% of the monthly salary to a maximum of $5,000 per month beginning the first day for accidents and after 14 days for illness. Long Term Disability is also provided at no cost to the employee.
Retirement Plan – on hold until further notice
Emeriti Program – on hold until further notice
Tuition Benefit – After one year, the employee and /or their spouse may take up to six credit hours per semester tuition free. Dependent children also qualify for tuition remission or exchange. The tuition benefit is not available for part-time benefited employees.
– All employees at Shenandoah University are paid on a biweekly basis. Payday is every other Friday (see payroll schedule for specific pay dates) Payroll deductions are withheld 24 times per year, with the exception of retirement plans and any legally required deductions, which must be withheld every pay check.
Direct deposit – Deposit of paychecks is available to any ACH financial institution. Participation is encouraged for all employees. Direct deposit is an environmentally friendly option that reduces the use of printed materials. Pay advices can be viewed online through Web Advisor.
SUMMARY OF LEAVE BENEFITS
Full Time Staff Employees
- Vacation Leave – first year of employment earn 1/2 day per month, second year of employment earn 1 day per month, after five years earn 1 1/2 days per month.
- Personal Days – Each year, active full-time employees will be credited with one personal day at the beginning of January and one personal day at the beginning of July. Personal days may not be used until the employee has satisfied the probationary period.
- Medical Leave – earn 1 day per month to a maximum of 60 days accumulation.
- Holidays – 11 paid days per year.
- Part time Staff Vacation and Medical Leave – Part time staff employees earn leave time at the rates stated above, based on the number of hours worked in a day. Example: one day medical leave earned equals four hours (20 hour week, 4 hour day). Holidays are paid if the holiday falls on a regularly scheduled workday. The number of hours paid is based on the number of hours normally worked in a day. Part Time Staff Employees
- *All leave types are calculated through SU timekeeper in hours. Employees are considered to work 7 or 8 hours per day based upon employment classification and work hours.
Full Time 12 Month Faculty employees:
- Vacation Leave – earn 2 days of vacation for each month of continuous employment.
- Personal Days – eligible for 2 days per contract year
- Holidays – 11 paid days per year.
9 Month Faculty employees:
- Holidays – 11 paid per year
For full benefit and policy information, current employees may visit the Human Resource Community on Canvas (login required).