Position: Esports Director, Director of Sport Management
Location: HHH 208
Employed Since: 2012
B.S.Ed. Sport Studies-University of Georgia 2006
M.Ed. Physical Education and Sport Studies- University of Georgia 2007
Ph.D. Sport Management and Policy- University of Georgia 2012
Fields of Expertise:
- eSport and Competitive Video Gaming
- Video Gaming
- Sport and Media
- Major League Baseball and baseball history
- Global Aspects of Sport
- Race and Sport
Joey Gawrysiak holds the controller in the world of esports academia.
He has made the international esports rounds, with appearances on podcasts, radio shows and even a cruise line, and has presented at several gaming and sport management events—including the Sport Management Association of Australia and New Zealand and the Music and Gaming Educational Symposium. Gawrysiak has written several articles on esports and is in the process of creating a chapter for the first dedicated esports textbook. He has hosted esports tournaments and served as a guest lecturer and consultant for several universities.
Known around campus as Joey G., is an integral part of the esports game, as:
- Co-host of the Press Start Radio show, about the video game industry with a focus on esports
- Author of a chapter in the 2017 book “Defining Sport,” arguing the validity of esports as sports
- Writer of a chapter for the first textbook dedicated to esports
- Founder Shenandoah’s varsity esports team, which plays as part of the National Association of Collegiate Esports Coach of the university’s Overwatch squad
- A panelist at the first-ever esport conference
- A national/international consultant, researcher and lecturer on esports, who has presented at the College Sport Research Institute; Sport Management Association of Australia and New Zealand, and Sport Marketing Association conferences
- A former undergraduate-level competitor in Halo tournaments
When it comes to esports, Joey G. is ready to play.
Joey has presented his scholarship at numerous regional and national conferences such as the College Sport Research Institute, Academy of Business Disciplines, the National Baseball Hall of Fame, and the Music and Gaming Educational Symposium at the Music and Gaming Festival. He has received best in session awards for his work as well as grants to continue his scholarship since joining Shenandoah University. Joey has also been invited to serve as a guest lecturer at universities and on a cruise line to speak about his scholarship. Shenandoah has given Joey the opportunity to lead trips to various countries including Albania and Brazil for educational and cultural enrichment.
“All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.” – J.R.R. Tolkien
Joey lives in Stephenson, VA with his wife, Susanna, and two daughters, Claire and Emily. He enjoys playing sports in his free time, especially intramural sports and community league softball. He also spends his time watching sports and cheering for the University of Georgia and the Atlanta Braves.