Position: Assistant Professor
Location: HPB 139
Phone: (540) 678-4398
Pharm.D. with Graduate Interdisciplinary Specialization in Biomedical, Clinical, and Translational Science at The Ohio State University in Columbus, OH; BS in Biochemistry (Medicinal Chemistry) at Arizona State University in Tempe, AZ
Fields of Expertise:
- Psychiatric Pharmacy
- 2019-2020 – PGY-2 Psychiatric Pharmacy at Michigan Medicine in Ann Arbor, MI
- 2018-2019 – PGY-1 Pharmacy Practice at Michigan Medicine in Ann Arbor, MI; PGY-1 Chief Resident
Dr. Cusimano’s current scholarship focuses on the safe and effective use of psychotropics and demonstrating the value of psychiatric pharmacists. He is currently the principal investigator of a multisite project seeking to develop and validate a patient experience instrument.
- Cusimano J. A pilot psychedelic psychopharmacology elective. Curr Pharm Teach Learn. 2022;14(5):680-685. DOI: 10.1016/j.cptl.2022.04.019.
- Gammal RS, Smith DM, Wiisanen KW, Cusimano JM, Pettit RS, Stephens JW, Walko CM, Yang RH, Dunnenberger HM. The pharmacist’s responsibility to ensure appropriate use of direct-to-consumer genetic testing. J Am Coll Clin Pharm. 2021;4(5):652-658. DOI: 10.1002/jac5.1437.
- Hosanagar A, Cusimano J, Radhakrishnan R. Therapeutic potential of psychedelics in the treatment of psychiatric disorders: Part 2 – Review of the evidence. J Clin Psychiatry. 2021;82(3):20ac13787. DOI: 10.4088/JCP.20ac13787.
- Hosanagar A, Cusimano J, Radhakrishnan R. Therapeutic potential of psychedelics in the treatment of psychiatric disorders: Part 1 – Psychopharmacology and neurobiological effects. J Clin Psychiatry. 2021;82(2):20ac13786. DOI: 10.4088/JCP.20ac13786.
- Cusimano J, VandenBerg A. Long-acting injectable antipsychotics and their use in court-ordered treatment: A cross-sectional survey of psychiatric pharmacists’ perceptions. Ment Health Clin. 2020;10(1):18-24. DOI: 10.9740/mhc.2020.01.018.
- Cusimano J, Martin C, VandenBerg A. Olanzapine-induced edema decreasing serum lithium concentrations: A case report. J Clin Psychopharmacol. 2020;40(5):499-500. DOI: 10.1097/jcp.0000000000001269.
- Cusimano J, VandenBerg A. Low-hanging fruit for getting back on your feet: A critical review of diet and exercise interventions for depression. J Affect Disord Rep. 2020;1:100019. DOI: 10.1016/j.jadr.2020.100019.
Always laugh when you can. It is cheap medicine. —Lord Byron
Outside of work, Dr. Cusimano enjoys cooking, baking, and bicycling. He and his wife Lauren adore the company of their two cats, Kovu and Muffins.