Farms and small settlements dot the rural valley floor along Passage Creek. Much of the mountain land on both sides of Fort Valley is part of George Washington & Jefferson National Forests and managed through the U.S. Forest Service’s Lee Ranger District in Edinburg.
Among the most popular and interesting sites are these:
* Front Royal Fish Cultural Station: fish hatchery
* Elizabeth Furnace Recreation Area: camping, picnicking, history trail, hiking, fishing
* Woodstock Tower: scenic view
* Fort Valley Museum: history museum open weekend afternoons in summer
* Camp Roosevelt Recreation Area: camping, hiking, nature trails
Follow Route 522 south from Winchester for 17 miles to Front Royal. Take Route 55 west for 5 miles. Turn right onto Fort Valley Road (Virginia Route 678) at the sign for Elizabeth Furnace.