Open all year during daylight hours.
The 14-acre preserve protects several natural features including springs, wetlands and forests. It also contains part of the Sheridan’s Field Hospital site. This temporary federal Civil War facility operated between September 1864 and January 1865 after the Third Battle of Winchester.
The Winchester Green Circle path here provides a paved mile-long route for walking and bicycling. Much of this section of the Green Circle follows Town Run — Abrams Creek’s principal tributary.
The Shawnee Springs Trail offers an unpaved footpath through shady forests. Look for trail signs near the Preserve’s south-end kiosk and at its north end by the railroad overpass. An interpretive brochure highlights the Preserve’s natural and historic features. Developed by Shenandoah University (SU) undergraduates in 2010, these brochures are available at the trailheads, Jim Barnett Park, the Visitor Center, and outside Room 138 in SU’s Gregory Hall. You can also find it online (see project link, right).
From the north end of Shawnee Springs Preserve, the Green Circle runs south along Town Run to Jim Barnett Park, Wilkins Lake, the Winchester-Frederick County Visitor Center, and Shenandoah University’s Main Campus. This pathway section was built in 2009. When completed the Green Circle will extend between 7 and 8 miles, connecting many of Winchester’s neighborhoods, parks, historic sites, commercial areas and its two nature preserves.
Directions: From the Visitor Center, Wilkins Lake or Shenandoah University, turn right (north) onto Pleasant Valley Road. At the traffic light, turn left onto Hollingsworth Drive. Turn left again at the stop sign, then take the first right at the Civil War Trails sign to a parking lot and information kiosk.