About the Office of Education Outreach (OEO)
The Office of Education Outreach is a department within Shenandoah University’s School of Education and Human Development (SEHD) which provides professional and licensure courses approved by the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) for teacher licensure and recertification. Many of these courses are available in Winchester, Leesburg and Fredericksburg. A variety of licensure and recertification distance courses are also available each trimester.
What courses does OEO offer?
- Initial Virginia teaching licensure courses (graduate credit)
- Teacher Recertification courses
- Career Switcher Program (accelerated route to Virginia teaching licensure for qualified students)
- Advanced Academic Dual Enrollment Courses (provides college credit to high school students)
- Individual courses to meet school district needs
Please review the available courses some of which meet VDOE licensure requirements as well as courses that can be used for recertification.
Must I already be enrolled in a certificate/degree-seeking program at Shenandoah University to enroll in OEO initial licensure classes?
No. Students may enroll in OEO classes as a Visiting Student. However, please note the following:
- Only core Virginia initial licensure courses are offered through OEO. The remainder of the licensure courses required for the traditional route to licensure ARE offered through the School of Education and Human Development (SEHD).
- OEO students are expected to apply for admission to the university in a PSC (Professional Studies Certificate) or MsEd (Masters of Education) program and be admitted to an accredited program for the traditional route to teacher licensure.Otherwise, students will be unable to complete their traditional route requirements.
How do OEO courses benefit students?
Students may enroll in these initial licensure courses at an affordable tuition as they select the licensure program that best fits their needs and complete their application to our university. OEO initial licensure courses WILL transfer into PSC and MsEd programs. However the number of credits that transfer varies by program. It is important that students apply for admission to the university once they are enrolled in their first OEO initial licensure course. Please review our additional OEO webpages for detailed registration information and available course listings.
Does OEO offer a non-traditional path or a fast-track to Virginia teaching licensure?
We do! For the past twelve years, Shenandoah University has offered the Career Switcher program. Career Switchers is an accelerated route to licensure for adult students already holding a Bachelors degree from a regionally accredited university and at least 5 years full time work experience (or its equivalent). Please visit the Career Switcher webpages for additional details.
Two methods of enrollment are accepted: a paper registration or Instant Enrollment (IE). . . .
To see the list of initial teacher licensure and recertification courses offered through OEO . . .
Interested in an accelerated progam for Teacher Licensure? The Career Switcher program may be for you! . . .
OEO offers individualized courses to meet the specific needs for school districts . . .
Center for Lifelong Learning
Shenandoah’s Center for Lifelong Learning offers an array of continuing education classes and seminars both on campus and online.
Our Contacts: Mr. Dennis Keffer Director of Education Outreach (540) 535-3544 email@example.com Mrs. Jamie Johnson Coordinator of Education Outreach (540) 535-3552 firstname.lastname@example.org . . .