Satisfactory Academic Progress at Shenandoah

All undergraduate and graduate students must meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) requirements in order to receive financial aid at Shenandoah University. Federal regulations require each college or university to have an academic progress policy, which establishes the minimum standards of eligibility for financial aid. Students are not making satisfactory progress if they:

  • Have been placed on academic suspension, or
  • Have been on academic probation for two consecutive semesters, or
  • Receive only grades of “F,” “W,” “I” or “IF” or any combination of these grades for a semester

Credits earned, GPA and the amount of semesters to graduate also impact SAP:

Full-time students must successfully complete:

  • 16 credit hours after 2 semesters of study
  • 36 credit hours after 4 semesters of study
  • 60 credit hours after 6 semesters of study
  • 90 credit hours after 8 semesters of study
  • The baccalaureate degree in 10 semesters


The minimum credit hour requirements are prorated for students who attend less than full-time (i.e., 75 percent for 3/4 time; 50 percent for 1/2 time) or fail to maintain the following minimum cumulative grade point averages:

Credit Hours Graded Minimum Culmative GPA
1.00 – 23.99 1.00
24.00-35.99 1.25
36.00-47.99 1.50
48.00-59.99 1.75
60.00 and above 2.00


Students who intend to take longer than four years to complete a degree should realize that many state and university financial aid programs limit assistance to eight semesters of full-time study. Students who do not take these limitations into consideration may find themselves unable to obtain aid for a fifth year of study. Please contact our office for details if you will be attending more than four years.

In regards to federal student aid, students must complete their degree within 150% of the published program length. For example, if a program requires 120 hours to complete, students must complete their degree by the time they have attempted 180 hours. For any hours attempted over 180, a student would not be eligible for financial aid.

Students may re-establish eligibility for financial aid by enrolling for classes at their expense until completing the minimum number of credit hours and achieving the minimum cumulative grade point average.

A student who has been denied financial aid because of unsatisfactory progress may appeal the decision by written notification to the Director of Financial Aid.