The voice pedagogy program at Shenandoah Conservatory is a thriving community of singers, both faculty and students, who are committed to merging scientific research with intuitive knowledge.
We embrace a functional voice training approach that supports both classical and contemporary commercial music (CCM) vocal demands. Shenandoah Conservatory is one of only six institutions in the United States with a Doctor of Musical Arts degree in Pedagogy – Voice. We are also the first institution to offer the Master of Music in Pedagogy – Voice in Contemporary Commercial Music.
Our vocal pedagogy graduates are teaching at universities throughout the United States, presenting at conferences and publishing papers in leading journals.
- Master of Music in Pedagogy – Voice (Contemporary Commercial Music – CCM)
- Master of Music in Pedagogy – Voice (Classical Voice)
- Doctor of Musical Arts in Pedagogy – Voice
Janette E. Ogg Voice Research Center (JOVRC)
The Janette E. Ogg Voice Research Center serves as a central hub for our vocal pedagogy students. Our students and faculty collaborate in research projects that are published in the Journal of Voice and the Journal of Singing. Many have authored books produced by Nova Science Publishers, and other print media. They regularly present research at international conferences including the Voice Foundation Symposium: Care of the Professional Voice, the Pan-European Vocology Conference, Pacific Voice & Speech Foundation, the UCSF Voice Conference, and Johan Sundberg’s Function of the Singing Voice in Sweden.
Research tools available in the JOVRC:
- VoceVistaPro with glottal enterprises PC-2 EGG (we also have a modified version of VoceVista that allows longer LTAS measurements, and a portable EGG with boom microphone, headphones, and a USB computer connection)
- Glottal enterprises Aeroview software, Rothenberg dual chamber CV mask and a custom-built NEH handle with dual microphones and dual pressure sensors (we also have on loan an MS-110 data interface with the associated transducers and mask and a NEH 2.5 handle)
- Multispeech 3700 from KayPentax
- Madde and Apex from KTH (Decap, RTSect, and Director Musices are also available)
- Dr. Speech Real Analysis
- Speechstation 2 from Sensimetrics
- Student versions of Waveview, Aeroview, and Nasality, with training exercises from glottal enterprises
We actively network with medical professionals in the region and collaborate with other university programs within the School of Health Professions.
Contemporary Commercial Music (CCM) Vocal Pedagogy Institute
At the Contemporary Commercial Music (CCM) Vocal Pedagogy Institute, student experiences are enriched by close interaction with our faculty and guest clinicians which have included Grammy Award winners, Broadway stars and coaches, jazz artists, and potential employers from around the world over the fourteen years of our existence. Students gain the pedagogical skills to teach in a wide range of styles including musical theatre, country, pop, jazz, rock and blues.
Our CCM Vocal Pedagogy Institute has been offering specialized courses for training non-classical styles since 2002 and has trained well over 1,500 teachers from around the world.