Position: Assistant Dean for Recruitment; Associate Professor, Bassoon
Pronouns: He / Him / His
Location: Armstrong Hall, Room 25
Phone: (540) 535-3570
Employed Since: 2009
Applied Music, Music Theory, Chamber Music
Conservatory Professional Highlights:
- Published “Bassoon Reimagined: An Extended Technique Sourcebook for Performers and Composers”
- Evening gala performance of “The Reed Which Bends in the Wind” for 12 bassoons and string orchestra at the International Double Reed Society conference in Granada, Spain
- Solo performance of “Avatar” by Dana Wilson with the Shenandoah Conservatory Wind Ensemble
- Solo performance of “Andante and Hungarian Rondo” by Carl Maria von Weber with the Shenandoah Conservatory Wind Ensemble
- Debut album of French contest pieces for bassoon: “Première”
- Voices from Shenandoah – Solo performance of works by Shenandoah University composers (Averitt, Brown, Triplett) at the International Double Reed Society conference in Redlands, California
- Solo performance of two works for bassoon and piano by Henri Challan at the International Double Reed Society conference in Oxford, Ohio
- Solo performance of the “Ciranda das Sete Notas” by Heitor Villa-Lobos with the Shenandoah Conservatory Symphony Orchestra
- Appointed Bassoon Editor of the International Double Reed Society
- Solo performance of Serge Lancen’s “Sonatine” at the International Double Reed Society conference in Tempe, Arizona
- Solo recital at the International Double Reed Society conference in Norman, Oklahoma
- Solo performance of Gordon Jacob’s “Bassoon Concerto” with the Shenandoah Conservatory Wind Ensemble
Van Buren Winds (bassoon), Shenandoah Valley Bach Festival (principal), Roanoke Symphony Orchestra (sub), Opera Roanoke (sub)
B.M.E., Ohio State University; M.M., D.M.A., Michigan State University
We don’t create art because it is merely enjoyable — sometimes it is not. We create art because art communicates the complexity of being in ways that industry and science cannot fathom. And it is because of this that the arts are truly indispensable to any healthy, functioning human society.
Interests: bassoon and reed-making pedagogy, chamber music performance and history, theory pedagogy, visual art and art history.
Setup: Fox 660 #44966 with a Leitzinger platinum NM2 bocal. Garfield-style reeds.
Professional website for Ryan Romine. Includes helpful information and links for bassoonists, parents and college applicants.