As of August 2020, all counseling appointments are conducted virtually.
How to Make an Individual Appointment
If this is an emergency, please call 911, or drive to your local emergency room. For additional support call the concern hotline at 540-667-0145.
To make an individual appointment with one of our counselors:
- If on SU campus, schedule an appointment online
- Call the Wilkins Wellness Center at 540-665-4530
- Email email@example.com
Walk-in appointments available Monday through Friday 1:00 – 2:00 pm
How to Join a Group Session
New groups are formed each academic year and based on student request.
Groups are formed to provide general advice, camaraderie, and to develop skills to help address many common problems:
- Feeling anxious about your school work, athletics, or performances — Come and chat!
- Feeling sad, homesick, overwhelmed — We can help!
- What does a balanced diet look like at school — Let’s help you eat right!
- How to get a good night sleep — Let us help you explore aroma therapy, yoga, and mindful meditation!
- stress management — Let us help you identify healthy coping mechanisms!
You may either send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and request to participate in a group, or click the link below, and fill out the Group Counseling Intake Assessment. The assessment will automatically transfer to the counseling center, where a counselor will confirm a time to meet with you in order to discuss group counseling further.
Frequently Asked Questions
If I send one of the Counseling Center staff an email, how much information should I provide?
Please provide us with days and times that you are available for appointments. Please remember that email is not a private or confidentially secure means of communication, so limit the information you provide to us. In order to ensure your confidentiality and protect your privacy, clinical counseling sessions cannot be provided through email. Please consider this as you communicate with us through email. Additionally, the Counseling Center staff does not maintain 24 hour access to their email accounts and may not check their email accounts on a daily basis.
How long do sessions normally last?
Initial appointments typically last 60 minutes. During the appointment you will discuss your current issue with a counselor and he or she will then make a recommendation for assistance. This recommendation may include a referral to our services such as workshops, group counseling, or individual counseling. Individual follow up counseling sessions may last 30-50 minutes in length encompassing one and up to eight sessions in an academic semester. Group counseling is 90 minutes.
Is counseling confidential?
The information you share in a counseling session will be treated with the highest regard for confidentiality. This means that information will not be disclosed to any outside persons or agencies without your written permission, including whether you have used our services.
Are there any exceptions to confidentiality?
The only exceptions to confidentiality occur when you request a release of your information to third parties or when your counselor is required by law to reveal particular information. The exceptions to confidentiality are as follows:
- There is reason to believe that a student poses a serious threat to health and safety to self and/or others, at which point appropriate medical or law enforcement personnel will be notified to ensure the safety of the student and the community.
- There is reason to believe that a child is being abused or neglected or an elderly person or dependent adult is being subjected to abuse, neglect, or exploitation, requiring notification of proper authorities.
- A court has ordered a subpoena requiring the Counseling Center to release information contained in your records or requiring a counselor to testify in a court hearing.
- You have requested and signed a written authorization allowing us to disclose information to parties you designate.
What if something comes up and I can’t make it to a scheduled appointment?
When you request services at the Counseling Center, time is reserved on a counselor’s schedule for your appointment. Thus, missed and canceled appointments prevent valuable, limited staff time from being offered to other students in need. Please email your counselor or call the counseling center if you will be late or need to cancel or reschedule an appointment. We would appreciate as much advance notice as possible, preferably, at least 24 hours prior to your appointment time. The Center may terminate counseling services if two consecutive or three total appointments are missed (i.e., not canceled 24 hours prior to the session). Services may also be terminated if an excessive number of sessions are canceled.
Where is the Counseling Center?
We are located on the top floor of Cooley Hall, in rooms 301-307.
How much does counseling cost?
The Counseling Center is free to all matriculating students who are enrolled in degree-seeking programs. Distance learners are provided teletherapy, however due to state licensure laws, students need to reside in Virginia to receive counseling. Clinicians will be happy to consult with online SU students residing out of state to provide appropriate resources.
For Faculty and Staff requiring counseling services, please check with Human Resources at 540-665-7393 about their EAP program.