Instructional and work activities will continue remotely this morning until locations open at noon. All locations are closed for in-person learning and work until noon.
As we begin spring semester we once again face the possibility of inclement weather. This is an area in which our recent experience with remote teaching, learning and working will serve us well, as we now know that in most cases we can be successful with virtual experiences in each of these areas.
We are working to develop a full revision of the Campus Closure Policy, but in the meantime we will operate as follows:
When a physical SU location must be closed for inclement weather, an alert will be sent saying that the location in question is closed.
- Winchester (including main campus, HPB, Bowman and Feltner)
Examples: “Winchester campus is closed today.” “SPL and ICPH will be closed tomorrow.” “All SU locations will be closed beginning at 3:00pm.”
By default, most instructional and work activities scheduled for a closed location will continue remotely during a closure as below:
- Unless the instructor specifies otherwise, classes scheduled to meet in-person will meet at the usual time by Zoom.
- Alternatively, the instructor may notify students that the class material will be made up
- a) in-person at another time determined by mutual agreement,
- b) online, synchronously at another time determined by mutual agreement, or
- c) asynchronously.
- In case of a delayed opening for a particular location, by default a class scheduled in-person at that location will be conducted remotely or rescheduled, as above. However, the instructor has the discretion to begin the class in person at the time the location opens, ending the class at the usually scheduled time. Students must be notified at least one hour ahead of time of such a change.
Most employees will continue to work remotely during a closure.
Supervisors should be in touch with employees in their areas if there are special instructions or adjustments.
Employees whose responsibilities are solely or primarily on site will be notified by their supervisors, either day of closing or by prearrangement, as to how to proceed.
Shenandoah University Athletics does not always follow the same closing procedures as Shenandoah University. Inclement weather announcements regarding athletics will be communicated via suhornets.com and social media outlets.
Campus Activities: When remote activities are canceled
In the unlikely event that an extreme weather or other event dictates that Shenandoah University or a particular location temporarily halt even remote activities, this will be specified in the announcement:
Examples: “All classes at SPL are canceled for tomorrow.” “All offices across SU are closed until Friday.”
When physical locations remain open
When SU locations remain open during inclement weather, faculty, staff and students should make their own decisions as to whether it is safe to drive, as conditions at their locations may be different from those at campus.
When a student determines that it is not safe for them to travel, they may usually participate in instructional activities remotely provided they notify their instructor at least an hour ahead of the class or activity. Such remote participation may be synchronous or asynchronous at the discretion of the instructor and may not be available for some instructional activities, including but not limited to clinical assignments. In those cases, students should be given an opportunity to make up the work if at all possible.
When an instructor determines that it is not safe for them to travel and that a usually in-person class must be held remotely, they should notify students at least an hour ahead of time.
When a staff member determines that it is not safe for them to travel they should notify their supervisor as soon as possible to make arrangements.