Graduate Degree in Performing Arts Leadership and Management
The Master of Science in Performing Arts Leadership and Management is a two-year program designed to provide future performing arts executives and artistic leaders with the industry skills required in the 21st century. The program provides classroom, community-based, and internship training that prepares students to find a meaningful professional career in the arts. The program is intended for students who hold a baccalaureate degree in music, theatre, dance or related fields.
The accelerated program in Performing Arts Leadership and Management is available for current Shenandoah Conservatory undergraduates who, upon completion of their undergraduate degree, wish to obtain a Master of Science in Performing Arts Leadership and Management in just one year. Students who are accepted into the accelerated program will begin to take arts leadership and management courses during their undergraduate studies and register for internship during the summer between senior year and their final year of graduate study.
“The Master of Science in Arts Management curriculum prepared me to be a leader in this field. I was positioned for success throught experience-based instruction that challenged me as a professional and encouraged critical thinking. The internships I secured as a part of the program provided both high-level connections and the necessary experience to enter the workforce. Even prior to graduation, I found myself in high demand in the field, equipped with all of the skills I would need to excel.”
- Colleen Cook, M.S. in Arts Management, 2013 Associate Director of Development, Renaissance Theatre Mansfield, OH
What Our Program Offers You
With a faculty drawn from the professional world, the Performing Art Leadership and Management curriculum includes foundational coursework, internships with leading professional arts organizations throughout the country, and a capstone project that mirrors projects undertaken by professional arts organizations. Our program’s graduates have found management positions with The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, Arena Stage, BASE Entertainment, Brevard Music Center, Orpheus Chamber Orchestra, and many other distinguished organizations.
Master of Science in Performing Arts Leadership and Management 2013-2014
Course and Credit Requirements for the Master of Science in Performing Arts Leadership and Management:
- ACCT 501 Foundations of Accounting (3)
- QM 501 Foundations of Analytics (3)
- AMGT 509 Foundations of Arts Management (3)
- AMGT 512 Marketing and Audience Engagement (3)
- AMGT 517 Financial Management for Arts Organizations (3)
- AMGT 519 Fundraising in the Arts (3)
- AMGT 520 Institutional Planning in the Arts (3)
- AMGT 525 Governance of Arts Organizations (3)
- AMGT 526 Leadership in the Arts (3)
- AMGT 527 Collaborative Arts Leadership in Practice (3)
- AMGT 698 Internship (3)
- CONR 689 Arts Management Culminating Project (3)
Degree Total 36 Credits