Shenandoah University Will Celebrate Its 2019 Commencement At 10 am On Saturday, May 18 In The James R. Wilkins, Jr. Athletics & Events Center.
University Commencement is scheduled for 10 a.m. on Saturday, May 18, 2019, in the James R. Wilkins, Jr. Athletics & Events Center at 1188 Ralph Shockey Drive in Winchester.
Shenandoah will celebrate 1,274 graduates. Among these are 56 international students from 26 different countries.
Shenandoah will recognize Paralympics skier Bonnie St. John as an honorary degree recipient. St. John was the first African-American ever to win medals in a Winter Olympic competition, taking home a silver and two bronze medals at the 1984 Winter Paralympics.
Six faculty emeriti will also be recognized, along with the 2019 Exemplary Teacher.
Parking for the Commencement Ceremony
With 5,000 people attending commencement, traffic and parking will be slower than usual. Plan on arriving early to allow time for parking and walking or riding the shuttle.
Doors open at the Wilkins Athletics and Events Center at 8 a.m. and the first shuttle will begin from the parking area at 7:45 a.m. Shuttles to the James R. Wilkins, Jr. Athletics & Events Center will be running constantly through campus. The ceremony will begin promptly at 10 a.m.
Note that thru traffic will be prohibited on Tulane Drive and Ralph Shockey Drive.
All guests and graduates should plan to enter campus at University Drive at Millwood Avenue. Please carefully review the parking options. Note that general (non-handicapped) guest parking will be available only on main campus. From there guests may walk to the ceremony site at the Wilkins Athletics and Events Center (~20 minutes) or take a shuttle.
Drop Off Passengers
Drivers are encouraged to drop off passengers at East Campus Commons on Millwood Pike, a short walk to the ceremony site. Drivers will then be directed to the designated parking areas on main campus from where they can walk (~20 minutes) or take a shuttle to the ceremony site.
Enter at East Campus Commons on Millwood Pike.
Handicapped parking will be available at the Athletics and Events Center for vehicles with ADA Guest Tickets or DMV-issued handicapped license plates or plate cards.Local law enforcement and the Department of Public Safety will assist in directing traffic. Please note that parking in prohibited areas will result in the vehicle being towed at the owner’s expense. This includes parking in residential areas, which is strictly prohibited.
This Is The First Commencement Ceremony with the new 12-foot tall, bronze buzzy!
Since the SU statue was added to campus in May 2005, it has been the iconic landmark for graduation photoshoots. Now we are excited to see our graduate’s photos with Buzzy! Send your photos to @shenandoahuniversity on instagram for a chance to be featured in the ceremony!
This Is The Second Commencement Ceremony To Be Held In James R. Wilkins, Jr. Athletics & Events Center.
The James R. Wilkins, Jr. Athletics & Events Center is the largest space in 70 miles!
Commencement Security & Bag Checks
ALL guests entering the building will be subject to bag checks, all bags/containers will be searched. Your safety and security are vitally important to us. In addition to verifying tickets, uniformed staff will use a variety of security measures to check everyone who enters, and each ticket has a unique barcode and can only be used once.
- Aerosols to include silly string
- Alcoholic beverages
- Animals other than service/ guide dogs
- Coolers or containers
- Drinks or bottles (water will be available for free in the building)
- Drones and other unmanned aircraft systems
- Fireworks or explosives
- Folding chairs
- Glass, thermal, or metal containers
- Illegal drugs
- Illegal weapons including concealed weapons are prohibited on the campus
- Laser pointers
- Supports for signs and placards
- Toy guns
- Any other item determined to be a potential hazard
- Seat cushions
- Diaper Bags
- Strollers/wheelchairs/mobility scooters
Am I allowed to bring baby bottles and other items that are needed for my child?
Yes, you may bring in the items that you need as long as they do not fall under our prohibited items list. Be prepared to have additional security checks on these items when proceeding through security.
Since I am not allowed to bring drinks into the building, how do we get water and other beverages during the morning?
There will be water stations throughout the Center as well as concessions that will have refreshments available for purchase.
- Senior Bash | May 16, 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm
According to a wikiHow article, the key to a successful party is really good food and drinks. Good thing the upcoming Senior Bash has both! Join us for a night of good food, games, drinks and making lasting memories with our friends before we part ways in May. We have officially secured The Roaming Bistro and Shaffer’s BBQ as our food trucks for the celebration!
- Bernard J. Dunn School Of Pharmacy Hooding Ceremony | May 17, 9:30 am – 11:30 am
- Harry F. Byrd Jr. School Of Business Awards and Hooding Ceremony | May 17, 1:00 pm – 2:30 pm
- Eleanor Wade Custer School of Nursing Pinning and Hooding Ceremony | May 17 @ 1:00 pm – 2:30 pm
- Baccalaureate Service | May 17, 4:00 pm – 5:00 pm
All graduates and their loved ones are invited to attend this interdenominational service that provides an opportunity for peaceful reflection and gratitude amidst the flurry of excitement. Student speakers reflect on their time at Shenandoah, and faculty and administrators offer encouragement and congratulations. Students, faculty and staff present music, dance, theatre and other artful expressions to inspire us on our journeys. This event is free and open to the public.
- College of Arts & Sciences Honors Ceremony | May 17, 5:30 pm – 6:30 pm
- Shenandoah Conservatory Awards And Graduate Hooding Ceremony | May 17, 7:00 pm – 8:30 pm
- School of Education and Leadership Hooding Ceremony | May 17 @ 7:00 pm – 8:30 pm
- Graduate Check In & Line Up | May 18 @ 8:00 am – 8:30 am All members of the Class of 2019 wishing to participate in the graduation ceremony need to report to the field at this time.
- Doors Open For Guests at the Class Of 2019 Commencement Ceremony | May 18 @ 8:00 am – 10:00 am
Seating for all those attending the Shenandoah University Class of 2019 Commencement Ceremony is on a first come, first serve basis.
The 2018 commencement ceremony will be strictly ticketed.
View Highlights from Last Year’s Commencement Ceremony