Expand your employment options and take your teaching career to the next level with Shenandoah’s Master of Science in Education program.
Our comprehensive program will provide you with the tools and knowledge you need to increase your marketability and value in the teaching profession.
Our program will prepare you to comply with the new teacher evaluation system and will teach you to implement formative assessment that increase student responsibility for rate, amount and quality of learning. You will also utilize technology to gather, analyze and communicate data to stakeholders in relevant and meaningful ways.
Learn More About This Program
Shenandoah University's School of Education & Human Development prepares practitioner-leaders by offering programs of study that conform to the following principles: practicing in a spirit of collaboration; thoughtful examination of the foundations, current contexts and future possibilities of the fields of study; encouraging proactive, problem-centered philosophies of educational and professional practice; producing graduates who will be knowledge-driven, competent decision-makers whose thinking is informed by reflective practice; and preparing caring, capable and reflective teachers, administrators, human services and public sectors practitioners.
Our master's and doctoral programs are unique in their emphasis on the application of theory to real-world problems and lived experiences. Administration and Supervision Licensure and Teacher Education Licensure programs have each earned accreditation from the Council for Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP).
You will learn:
- best practices in 21st- century teaching and learning: planning, instruction , assessment (of and for learning), professionalism, relevant theory, integrating technology and pedagogy
- data collection and analysis, data-driven teaching and learning decisions, formative assessment
- how to communicate assessment outcomes to students, parents and other stakeholders
Take your career further by adding a Gifted Endorsement or by becoming a mentor or lead teacher. Update your teaching skills while pursuing National Board Certification (NBCT). Our flexible program offers options to fit your individual career path. You can even complete NBCT within a supportive, cohort environment with professors and other class members.
- National Board Certified Teacher credentials are recognized across the country, and certification often commands a higher salary.
- Teachers who have earned Gifted Endorsements on their license have the opportunity to work with specialized populations, and often have fewer students in their classes and additional budgets for special expenditures.
- Teachers who become lead teachers or mentor teachers often have school leaders who support their continuing pathways to administrative positions.
|EDU 635||Reading and Writing in the Content Area||3|
|ADM 640||Curriculum Development and Evaluation||3|
|One course in subject area||3|
|Electives:||(pick 3 courses from the following)|
|RDG 533||Reading in the Content Area||3|
|EDU 584||Classroom Management/School Climate||3|
|EDU 585||Educational Technology Applications||3|
|ADM 641||Supervision and Evaluation of Instruction||3|
|EDU 650||Major Issues in Education||3|
|EDU 651||Methods of Instruction||3|
|Or, other advisor approved elective||3|
|RST 671||Using Educational Measurement & Statistics||3|
|RST 678||Action Research I||3|
|RST 679||Action Research II||3|
|RST 684||Introduction to Research Literacy||3|
Our accomplished and caring faculty serve as mentors beyond the classroom. As a team, they prepare you to serve as a compassionate educator, critical thinker and ethical leader. You’ll benefit from small class sizes that enable faculty members to provide individualized attention and nurture your academic and professional development.