The Writing Center seeks to develop more able student writers through one-to-one instruction in pre-writing, drafting, revising, and editing.
The Shenandoah University Writing Center takes as its primary mission one-to-one instruction in writing for all SU students. The conferences between students and the staff, either face-to-face or online, work to enable students to learn productive habits in pre-writing, drafting, revising, and editing. Using directive and non-directive instructional techniques, the Center’s staff encourages students to do their own work but to value consultation as a valuable part of composing. The ultimate goal of the Center is to develop more able student writers. When students leave the Writing Center after an appointment, they will be further along in the process of producing a polished piece of writing.
The Center also strives to promote and support writing across the curriculum, serving students from all courses at all levels.
Make an Appointment
- Sign in to WCOnline. Register as a first-time visitor to the Writing Center, or login using your established login/password if you’ve visited before. Those registering for the first time will need to login following registration to view the Writing Center schedule and make appointments.
- Schedule an appointment with any available tutor by clicking on your preferred time and date in a tutor’s schedule. When the pop-up box arises, identify the tutorial mode you prefer– face-to-face, email, or synchronous online, and complete the required information.
- Be sure to upload your paper and assignment, especially if you are signing up for email or synchronous online tutoring.
Writing Center Hours:
|Main campus hours|
|Monday-Thursday||10 a.m. – 9 p.m.|
|Friday||10 a.m. – 4 p.m.|
|Scholar Plaza, Loudoun hours|
|Tuesday-Thursday||4 p.m. – 8 p.m.|
|Summer Hours (May 26-August 18)|
|Monday-Friday||10 a.m. – 2 p.m.|
Location: Smith Library, 3rd Floor
- Sarah Christy, Student Tutor
- Matthew Clark, Student Tutor
- Jennifer Cortez, Student Tutor
- Doug Enders, Director
- Natalie Gales, Student Tutor
- Ginger Garver, Professional Tutor
- Jace Gibson, Student Tutor
- Nora Hunter, Student Tutor
- Judy Kouzel, Professional Tutor
- Tina Kulow, Student Tutor
- Aurora Padilla-Jimenez, Student Tutor
- Lisa Strimple, Professional Tutor