The Writing Center seeks to develop more able student writers through one-to-one instruction in pre-writing, drafting, revising, and editing.
The Shenandoah University Writing Center takes as its primary mission one-to-one instruction in writing for all SU students. The conferences between students and the Writing Center staff, either face-to-face or online, work to enable students to learn productive habits in pre-writing, drafting, revising, and editing. Using directive and non-directive instructional techniques, the Center’s staff encourages students to do their own work but to value consultation as a valuable part of composing. The ultimate goal of the Center is to develop more able student writers. When a student leaves the Writing Center after an appointment, he or she will be further along in the process of producing a polished piece of writing.
The Center also strives to promote and support writing across the curriculum, serving students from all courses at all levels.
Make an Appointment
- Sign in to WCOnline. Register as a first-time visitor to the Writing Center, or login using your established login/password if you’ve visited before. Those registering for the first time will need to login following registration to view the Writing Center schedule and make appointments.
- Schedule an appointment with any available tutor by clicking on your preferred time and date in a tutor’s schedule. If you can not come to the Center but still would like feedback on a paper, click on your preferred time and date in a tutor’s schedule who has the designation “Online” under her or his name.
- When the pop-up box arises, note the areas of your paper that you would like the tutor to comment on in the box “What would you like to work on during your visit?” Possibilities include:
- understanding the assignment
- establishing a purpose
- developing a thesis
- developing ideas
- organizing ideas
- documenting sources
- If you are signing up for email tutoring, be sure to copy and paste your paper into the appropriately marked text box.
- If you aren’t able to set up an appointment because the schedule is full, let us know by email email@example.com.
Writing Center Hours:
|Main campus fall 2016 hours|
|Monday-Thursday||10 a.m. – 8 p.m.|
|Friday||10 a.m. – 4 p.m.|
|Northern Virginia campus fall 2016 hours|
|Tuesday-Thursday||4 p.m. – 8 p.m.|
Location: Howe Hall 204
- Emily Bainbridge, Student Tutor
- Sarah Canfield, Professional Tutor
- Danielle DeArment-Donohue, Professional Tutor
- Doug Enders, Director
- Madeline Funke, Student Tutor
- Dan Garver, Professional Tutor
- Ginger Garver, Professional Tutor
- Heather Knapp, Student Tutor
- Judy Kouzel, Professional Tutor
- Samantha Maddy, Student Tutor
- Gionna Maria, Student Tutor
- Sarah May, Student Tutor
- Brenda Nieves, Student Tutor
- Meggie Romick, Professional Tutor
- Brooklyn Russick, Student Tutor
- Cydney Schrader, Student Tutor
- Alex Steege, Student Tutor
- Lisa Strimple, Professional Tutor
- Christina Trinidad, Professional Tutor
- Ashlyn Walderman, Student Tutor