The Writing Center seeks to develop more able student writers through one-to-one instruction in pre-writing, drafting, revising, and editing.
The Shenandoah University Writing Center takes as its primary mission one-to-one instruction in writing for all SU students. The conferences between students and the Writing Center staff, either face-to-face or online, work to enable students to learn productive habits in pre-writing, drafting, revising, and editing. Using directive and non-directive instructional techniques, the Center’s staff encourages students to do their own work but to value consultation as a valuable part of composing. The ultimate goal of the Center is to develop more able student writers. When a student leaves the Writing Center after an appointment, he or she will be further along in the process of producing a polished piece of writing.
The Center also strives to promote and support writing across the curriculum, serving students from all courses at all levels.
Make an Appointment
- Sign in to WCOnline. Register as a first-time visitor to the Writing Center, or login using your established login/password if you’ve visited before. Those registering for the first time will need to login following registration to view the Writing Center schedule and make appointments.
- Schedule an appointment with any available tutor by clicking on your preferred time and date in a tutor’s schedule. If you can not come to the Center but still would like feedback on a paper, click on your preferred time and date in a tutor’s schedule who has the designation “Online” under her or his name.
- When the pop-up box arises, note the areas of your paper that you would like the tutor to comment on in the box “What would you like to work on during your visit?” Possibilities include:
- understanding the assignment
- establishing a purpose
- developing a thesis
- developing ideas
- organizing ideas
- documenting sources
- If you are signing up for email tutoring, be sure to copy and paste your paper into the appropriately marked text box.
- If you aren’t able to set up an appointment because the schedule is full, let us know by email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Writing Center Hours:
|Main campus fall 2018 hours|
|Monday-Thursday||10 a.m. – 8 p.m.|
|Friday||10 a.m. – 4 p.m.|
|Loudoun campus fall 2018 hours|
|Tuesday-Thursday||4 p.m. – 8 p.m.|
Location: Howe Hall 204
- Ben Agostino, Student Tutor
- Antoni Blanco, Professional Tutor
- Doug Enders, Director
- Ginger Garver, Professional Tutor
- Judy Kouzel, Professional Tutor
- Jessica Kronenwetter, Student Tutor
- Gionna Maria, Profession Tutor
- Sarah May, Professional Tutor
- Erin Risch, Student Tutor
- Lexi Sarni, Student Tutor
- Lisa Strimple, Professional Tutor
- Marisa Whitcomb, Student Tutor
- Maddy White, Student Tutor