The goal of the Parent and Family Council is enhanced education through advocacy, engagement, and philanthropy.
- Advocacy: Parent Leadership Council members are ambassadors for the university. They represent Shenandoah University to prospective students and families. They encourage the success of students after graduation through participation in the university’s career development programs (for example, hosting internships, providing job shadowing opportunities, or being preceptors for health professions students). They host events for the Shenandoah University community and look for opportunities to participate in university events on and off-campus.
- Engagement: Council members meet twice a year to learn about the university’s activities, policies, programs, concerns, and plans for future development. In turn, the council provides parents with a way to share their observations, suggestions, or concerns about the university and its programs, plans, and student life issues.
- Philanthropy: Council members make meaningful annual gifts (suggested amount of $1,000 or more) to support Shenandoah University priorities.
- Learn about the university’s activities, policies, programs, concerns, and plans for future development.
- Serve as an ambassador of Shenandoah University, both on campus and in your local community.
- Attend council meetings twice a year. The fall meeting is held on campus and coincides with Homecoming and Family Weekend. The spring meeting will be held in March/April.
- Take an active role in helping the university reach its annual fundraising goal by making a gift to the university.
- Participate in regional receptions in selected areas.
Maureen and I are excited to help Shenandoah create a way for parents to be more actively involved with the university and to be ambassadors in sharing the many positive initiatives that are happening on campus.”
Mike and Maureen Allen
Parents of Matthew ’24
The first meeting of the Parent and Family Council will be held on October 6, 2023. Time and location to be announced later.