Inspire Students Through Transformative Learning
Shenandoah University will focus on rigorous, innovative programs and engaged student learning.
– Develop a vibrant environment that fuses liberal and professional learning to produce a world-class education that is broad, inspiring, and relevant.
- Articulate and operationalize clear and compelling goals for general education
- Use high-impact practices to embed liberal learning in professional and pre-professional curricula
- Engage students in learning and service activities in partnership with communities and organizations external to the university
- Demonstrate practical applications and career opportunities for all degrees
- Invest in the College of Arts & Sciences as an academic foundation of the university
- Further develop the advising system to foster collaborative relationships that support students in setting and achieving educational and career goals
– Build on existing strengths to create new disciplinary, interdisciplinary and interprofessional programs that will graduate students who are competitive, forward-thinking and prepared to meet societal needs.
- Increase avenues for faculty interactions between programs and schools
- Allocate administrative support to identifying and shepherding such programs
- Create IPE opportunities at the undergraduate level and intertwine IPE throughout graduate HP, nursing and pharmacy curricula
- Develop and launch new programs that align with mission, build on strengths, are resource positive or neutral, and meet societal needs
– Employ creative delivery models and emerging technologies to improve academic quality, access and affordability.
- Support development of online and hybrid courses and programs
- Continue to use of emerging technologies to support programs at multiple locations
- Collaborate with other institutions to expand offerings, such as the VFIC language consortium
– Build and support a faculty and staff that educate and inspire students through innovative, rigorous, student-centered teaching and advising.
- Strengthen faculty development for teaching in disciplinary and general education courses
- Strengthen support for faculty scholarship
- Improve faculty and staff salaries in areas where they are below national medians for similar institutions
– Engage our students through experiences inside and outside the classroom that bring theory to practice, develop intellectual capacity and higher-order thinking, and engender transformative learning in career and life skills, self-awareness, emotional intelligence, and cultural competency.
- Develop general education to broadly incorporate experiences outside the classroom
- Strengthen connections between Academic Affairs, Student Life, and Enrollment Management to support synergistic and mutually supportive programs
- Expand international experiences with specific goal of increasing the number of students studying abroad
- Expand opportunities and recognition for student research
- Connect with expanded Career Center to integrate career skills into academic programs as appropriate
– Position ourselves to maximize student learning with leading-edge assessment.
- Create institutional structure to facilitate and integrate the planning and assessment process
- Improve monitoring of student retention
- Create dashboard for senior administrators and trustees