When and where is the Shenandoah University 2022 Commencement Ceremony?
The Shenandoah University Commencement Ceremony is Saturday, May 21, 2022, at 10 a.m. inside the James R. Wilkins, Jr. Athletics & Events Center.
Is there a commencement rehearsal?
Yes, rehearsal is mandatory – with the exception of students who have finals during this time frame. Commencement rehearsal will be held on Thursday, May 19, from 4:30 – 6 p.m. at the James R. Wilkins, Jr. Athletics & Events Center.
How long will the ceremony last on May 21?
Guests should allow between 2-1/2 to 3 hours for the commencement ceremony. Allow an additional 30 minutes to exit campus.
Where is parking and are there shuttles?
See the parking section below
Can guests take pictures at the commencement ceremony?
Yes, however, due to fire code regulations, guests must stay seated in the guest seating area and should be respectful of the other guests by not blocking aisles or views.
Will there be food and water available?
Free water stations are available throughout the center. Concessions will also be available for purchase.
How many tickets will I receive for my guests and how do I access the ticketing system?
Important to know…
- Each graduate is allotted 6 guest tickets (graduates do not need a ticket)
- Children 24 months and under do not need a ticket; however, the child must sit on an adult’s lap during the ceremony without obstructing the view of other guests. All children older than 24 months are required to have a ticket due to fire code capacity.
- What if I need more?
- Check with a fellow graduate and see if they can give you any of their unused tickets by either printing them or emailing them to you.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org for extra ticket requests
- Tickets have a unique QR code and can only be scanned once. There is no re-entry into the event.
- How do I give my tickets to my guests?
- You can print them out and give them a paper copy
- You can email the ticket(s) to them and they can print them or pull them up on their smartphones to be scanned.
- What if some of my family members require ADA accommodations?
- You can fill out the form available from email@example.com
- How do I claim my tickets?
- Use your login and password from when you RSVP’d for the ceremony,
If you have any further questions, please email the Commencement Team at firstname.lastname@example.org
Where do I park? What about my guests?
- All guests and graduates should plan to enter campus at University Drive at Millwood Avenue. Please carefully review the parking options below. Note that general (non-accessible) guest parking will be available only on the main campus. From there, guests may walk to the ceremony site at the Wilkins Athletics & Events Center (20 minutes) but are strongly encouraged to take one of the seven shuttles that will be operating. With nearly 5,000 people attending commencement, traffic and parking will be slower than usual. Plan on arriving early to allow time for parking and walking or riding the shuttle. Doors open at the Wilkins Athletics & Events Center at 8 a.m. and the first shuttle will begin traveling from the parking area at 7:45 a.m. The ceremony will begin promptly at 10 a.m. Note that thru traffic will be prohibited on Tulane Drive and Ralph Shockey Drive.
- General Guest Parking: Enter via Millwood Avenue.
All general (non-accessible) guest parking will be on the main campus at 1460 University Drive, Winchester, VA 22601. From there, guests may walk (20 minutes) or take a shuttle to the ceremony site.
- ADA-Accessible Parking: Enter at Tulane Drive and Route 50 (across from Delco Plaza). ADA-accessible parking will be available at the James R. Wilkins, Jr. Athletics & Events Center for vehicles with DMV-issued accessible license plates or placards. Local law enforcement, the Department of Public Safety, and staff will assist in directing traffic. Please note that parking is prohibited in these areas and will result in the vehicle being towed at the owner’s expense. This includes parking in the residential areas adjacent to the James R. Wilkins, Jr. Athletic & Event Center, which is strictly prohibited.
- Shuttles will pick up and drop off at the red dot locations on the map.
- Click on the map below to enlarge it.
- General Guest Parking: Enter via Millwood Avenue.
Security: PLEASE NOTE – Because your safety and security are vitally important to us, ALL guests entering the building will be subject to bag checks. All bags/containers will be searched.
- Prohibited Items:
- Aerosols to include silly string
- Alcoholic beverages
- Animals other than service/ guide dogs
- Coolers or containers
- Drinks or bottles (water will be available for free in the building)
- Drones and other unmanned aircraft systems
- Fireworks or explosives
- Folding chairs
- Glass, thermal, or metal containers
- Illegal drugs
- Illegal weapons including concealed weapons are prohibited on the campus
- Laser pointers
- Supports for signs and placards
- Toy guns
- Any other item determined to be a potential hazard by the university
- Allowable Items:
- Seat cushions
- Diaper Bags
- Strollers/wheelchairs/mobility scooters
- Baby bottles and other items that are needed for your child
These items are allowable as long as they do not fall under our prohibited items list. Be prepared to have additional security checks on these items when proceeding through security.