- All guests and graduates should plan to enter campus at University Drive at Millwood Avenue. Please carefully review the parking options below. Note that general (non-handicapped) guest parking will be available only on main campus. From there guests may walk to the ceremony site at the Wilkins Athletics and Events Center (~15 minutes) or take a shuttle. Drivers are encouraged to take advantage of the drop-off option below for passengers. With 5,000 people attending commencement, traffic and parking will be slower than usual. Plan on arriving early to allow time for parking and walking or riding the shuttle. Doors open at the Wilkins Athletics and Events Center at 8:00am and the first shuttle will begin from the parking area at 7:45am. The ceremony will begin promptly at 10:00am. Note that thru traffic will be prohibited on Tulane Drive and Ralph Shockey Drive.
- General Guest Parking: Enter via Millwood Avenue. All general (non-handicapped) guest parking will be on the main campus at 1460 University Drive, Winchester, VA 22601 . From there guests may walk (~15 minutes) or take a shuttle to the ceremony site. Drivers are encouraged to drop off passengers at East Campus Commons (below) before proceeding to general parking.
- General Guest Passenger Drop-Off: Enter at East Campus Commons on Millwood Pike. Drivers are encouraged to drop off passengers at East Campus Commons, a short walk to the ceremony site. Drivers will then be directed to the designated parking areas on main campus from where they can walk (~15 minutes) or take a shuttle to the ceremony site.
- Handicapped Parking: Enter at East Campus Commons on Millwood Pike. Handicapped parking will be available at the Athletics and Events Center for vehicles with ADA Guest Tickets or DMV-issued handicapped license plates or plate cards. Local law enforcement and the Department of Public Safety will assist in directing traffic. Please note that parking in prohibited areas will result in the vehicle being towed at the owner’s expense. This includes parking in residential areas, which is strictly prohibited.
- General Admission: Tickets are required for general admission seating for the commencement ceremony. Guests will not be permitted to enter the commencement ceremony site until 8:00 am. Please plan accordingly.
- Seating for Persons with Disabilities: There will be a designated seating area for disabled guests; staff will direct guests to this area. Specified tickets are required for this seating area and only one caretaker or guest may accompany a person with an ADA ticket into this area. Please refer to the “Accommodations for Persons with Disabilities” page.
- Indoor Viewing Area: The commencement ceremony will be broadcast live in the Brandt Student Center Ferrari Room, which is air-conditioned and accessible. Accessible restrooms are also available in the Student Center.
Shenandoah University provides a professional photographer as a service to graduates. GradImages™ will take photos as you cross the stage and shake President Fitzsimmons’ hand. A close-up photograph will also be taken after you cross the stage. GradImages™ will mail a free, passport-size, full-color proof to you. The purchase of additional photos from GradImages™ is entirely optional. GradImages™ will contact you when your photos are available for online viewing and ordering.
You are encouraged to preregister at: http://www.gradimages.com/Register.cfm
Contact GradImages™ at 1-800-628-4509
- Please do not bring any pets with you to the ceremony. Service animals will be the only animals permitted at the ceremony site.
- Smoking in any university building or within 30 feet of any entrance or window is prohibited. Smoking is defined as the lighting or burning of any pipe, cigar, cigarette, electronic cigarette (aka vaping) or other product. Shenandoah University is committed to providing a safe, healthy and pleasant learning and work environment for its students and employees.
- Please refrain from cell phone usage during the ceremony. All mobile devices should be silenced upon entry to the seating area.
- Please do not block any aisles, entrances or exits. Guests may take photos during the ceremony but are not permitted to enter the graduate seating area or block any aisles used by guests or graduates during the ceremony. Please be courteous to all guests.
Immediately following the commencement ceremony, President Fitzsimmons will host a light reception outside the Athletics & Events Center.
To report any lost and found items during the event, please notify a staff member. Staff on-site will be able to assist you. Following the event, please contact the Brandt Student Center Information Desk at 540-665-4907.
Guests coming into Winchester for commencement should visit the following links for lodging and dining options, as well as places to explore and shop: