- A stormwater management system that collects the stormwater and allows it to percolate through the soil, which reduces stormwater runoff and protects the surrounding watershed.
- Best management practices were utilized during construction to prevent sedimentation and erosion.
- Bike racks are provided to promote alternative transportation.
- There is a University bus line stop nearby to reduce the use of single occupancy vehicles.
- The number of parking spaces provided is limited to the number required by zoning to preserve green space.
- The building and landscaping were designed to shade the site and reduce the heat island effect.
- Low flow plumbing fixtures are used throughout.
- Landscaping design utilizes vegetation adapted to the regional climate, Reducing or eliminating the need for irrigation.
- The introduction of natural light reduces the need for artificial lighting.
- Occupancy sensors were used to reduce energy consumption when spaces are not in use.
- Energy-efficient lighting fixtures are included to reduce the amount of energy needed to light the building.
- The Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) system has advance control options that respond to outdoor conditions and building schedule to conserve energy and improve air quality.
- Energy Star rated appliances are used.
- The mechanical system incorporates energy efficient motors and fans.
- The water heating system is highly efficient.
- Building materials with recycled content were used such as gypsum board, ceiling tile, insulation, and steel.
Indoor Environmental Quality
- The HVAC system supplies fresh air, which improves indoor air quality.
- During construction, the mechanical system equipment was protected to prevent contamination from dust, dirt, and debris.
- The paint used contains little to no volatile organic compounds (VOCs).
- The flooring and flooring adhesives used contain little to no chemicals.
- Consideration is given to make windows operable allowing users to get fresh air when desired.
- The buildings are designed to provide natural daylight and views to the outside.
- The mechanical system equipment is located away from occupied spaces to prevent noise pollution.