Q: What is the iMLearning Program?
A: The iMLearning Program provides students and faculty with a common platform and mobile access to university resources. All incoming full-time freshmen and full-time graduate students in selected programs will be provided with a university-owned and configured 13-inch Touch Bar MacBook Pro with Retina display and an iPad Pro 10.5 (64 GB Wi-Fi model) and an Apple Pencil.
Q: Is there a cost?
A: All students will pay a technology fee, which covers the core networking services provided by Shenandoah University. Students who participate in the iMLearning Program will pay an additional iMLearning fee.
Q: What do the fees cover?
A: Many things, including:
- University-provided MacBook Pro, iPad Pro, and Apple Pencil
- Customized applications designed for Shenandoah’s teaching and learning objectives
- Interactive campus map, course software and viewing capabilities for grades and events on campus.
- Configuration and setup for wireless services
- 24/7 wireless access in academic buildings, residence halls and remote campus locations.
- Apple Certified Support Technicians
- Hardware and software support for your devices
- 24/7 tech support
- Anti-Virus software
- Four-year AppleCare for MacBook Pro, one-year AppleCare for iPad Pro and Apple Pencil
- Microsoft Office 365
- Apple software that ships on the devices
- A loaner laptop if yours ever fails
- Laptop loss and theft insurance, with a deductible
- Laptop accidental damage insurance, with deductible
- Updates to preinstalled software at no charge (Mac OS, Microsoft Office, etc…)
Q: What equipment will I be receiving?
A: You will receive a 13-inch Touch Bar MacBook Pro with Retina display and an iPad Pro 10.5 (64GB Wi-Fi model) and an Apple Pencil.
Links to specs are below.
Apple MacBook Pro (13-inch with Retina display):
Apple’s 64 Gb iPad Pro (Wi-Fi model) and an Apple Pencil:
Q: If I bring my own laptop and mobile device will I still be charged the iMLearning fee every semester?
A: All students who are mandatory participants in the iMLearning Program will be charged the iMLearning fee and they will be provided a university-configured MacBook Pro, iPad Pro, and Apple Pencil and they will use these devices in class.
Q: Can I bring another computer?
A: Yes, you can bring another computer, but it will not replace the MacBook Pro and iPad Pro required for classes.
Q: Can I keep the MacBook Pro when I leave?
A: If students are enrolled full-time for eight semesters and pay an iMLearning fee for all eight, they keep the equipment (iPad included). Eight semesters will include summer semesters, for which some programs pay iMLearning fees.
Q: If I purchase the MacBook Pro what needs to be done?
A: Students will be allowed to keep their personal data and applications. Settings for SU should be removed; Help Desk staff can perform this task.
Q: What happens if it gets damaged?
A: If it breaks, we fix it! For damage not covered by warranty, such as broken screens, liquid spills, etc., there is a deductible charge for the repair. If the unit is stolen or damaged beyond repair, there is a replacement fee charged to the student’s account. See the IMLearning fees for details.
Q: How do I get software updates?
A: When connected to the campus network, students can access updates via the Self Service application. Updates will also be available through Apple Software Update in the App Store.
Q: What if I need other software?
A: If additional software is needed, many apps are provided through the University Bookstore with an educational discount. Students may also install apps through the Apple App Store or from the internet.
Questions about the iMLearning Program? Contact Don Silvius at 540-545-7275 or firstname.lastname@example.org.