Our university community is dedicated to supporting students in all aspects of their academic pursuits. Thrive Guides – students who love helping their fellow students – are here to assist.
Together we thrive.
What’s a Thrive Guide?
A Thrive Guide is an accountability partner who meets with students one-on-one to help them establish the skills needed to navigate college.
Thrive Guides are students who love helping their fellow Hornets! If you would like to receive this individualized support, please fill out the survey linked below so we can find the perfect match for you.
Program Goals and Objectives
- Assist students in feeling more connected to Shenandoah University
- Support Students in developing or refining their ability to articulate and formulate plans to actively pursue and achieve their academic and personal goals.
- Make students aware of resources available to them on campus
- Help students to develop or refine their study skills and time management abilities
- Inform students of the organizations and clubs that Shenandoah University has to offer
- Help students foster a growth mindset: We want to help students accept that there are things they do not know and develop a toolkit of strategies and resources to help them bridge the gap between what they do not yet know and all there is to know about themselves and their disciplines.
Resources & Services
The Shenandoah University Writing Center takes as its primary mission one-to-one instruction in writing for all SU students. The Center also strives to promote and support writing across the curriculum, serving students from all courses at all levels.
Math Enrichment Center
The Math Enrichment Center is a free tutoring center open to all Shenandoah University students. The Center assists students from all disciplines to understand and apply the math skills beneficial to their course work, career goals, and interests.
Whether you need extra help in a course or just need further clarification of key concepts, Shenandoah University offers peer-tutoring sessions free of charge to Shenandoah students. Students may also apply to become tutors.
Having trouble connecting with your advisor? Struggling to create your class schedule? Need advice pursuing your academic major? Meet with an advising coordinator to have all your questions answered.
Accessibility is a right. Student Support Services collaborates with students, faculty and staff to create an educational environment that is equitable and inclusive for the university community.
Whether it’s help with getting the right notes down, taking a test or figuring out how to improve your overall student habits, you can find the resources you need.
What Students Are Saying
Cristina Espinosa | PMHNP Graduate Student
By working with my Thrive Guide I learned to be more organized, to implement a to-do list, to write down my assignments in a book before the beginning of the semester. I learned not to doubt myself and maintain a positive attitude during tough times in the semester with COVID-19 hurdles.
Kayla Kern | Criminal Justice Major
My Thrive Guide made me feel like I wasn’t alone and that it is possible to find friends during this time of social distancing.
Alex Nemith | Business Administration Major
I learned a lot about SU and the culture that SU usually has but can’t right now because of covid.