Take Advantage of Tutoring!
Whether you need extra help in a course or just need further clarification of key concepts, Shenandoah University offers peer-tutoring sessions free of charge to Shenandoah students. We offer individual, group or drop in tutoring sessions to all students.
Our office is located in the Academic Enrichment Center in 204 Howe Hall. For more information, stop by our office or call (540) 665-4928.
How to Sign up for a Tutor
- Visit https://star.su.edu/
- Select tutoring in the drop down menu.
- If you know the tutor you would like to work with, you can select their name from the consultant list. If not, you can leave this part blank.
- Select the course you would like a tutor in from the drop down menu under section and press search.
- Select the session that works best for you and select it.
- Choose a reason for why you’re signing up for a tutor.
- Enter your preferred method of communication.
- Press save!
- It is the responsibility of your tutor to contact you. The Academic Enrichment Center recommends that after a reasonable amount of time, if your tutor has not contacted you, come back to the Academic Enrichment Center for another name. If you need help in a class for which we have no tutors registered, we will contact your professor and ask him/her to recommend someone who can help you.
- If you have a scheduled appointment with your tutor, make every effort to keep the appointment. If you cannot make it due to some unavoidable circumstance, you must make a reasonable effort to let your tutor know ahead of time. If you fail to keep three appointments with no prior notice, you will be ineligible for tutoring for the rest of the semester.
- Please be on time for your tutoring sessions. Your tutor has been instructed to wait for you for 15 minutes. After that, the tutor may leave and the session is counted as a “no show.”
- Attending class regularly is a prerequisite for receiving tutoring. Your professor receives a notice from your tutor after each session. He/she is instructed to let us know if you are not attending and preparing for class.
- Keep in mind that you will receive the most benefit if you see your tutor on a regular basis – not just before a test. Prepare for your tutoring sessions:
- Keep up with your textbook reading. Mark items you do not understand so that you can ask your tutor about them.
- Bring your class notes, text, handouts, etc. to your tutoring session.
- Let your tutor know when you are scheduled for a test and what the test will cover.
- When you get a test back, bring it to your next session, if possible, so that your tutor can help you review what you missed.
- Remember – tutoring will not benefit you if you do not also spend a sufficient amount of time on your own with your subject, attend class regularly, and do assigned work.
- If you need help in a subject for which there is a great demand for tutors, you may be asked to be in a small group instead of a one-on-one tutoring situation. Groups can be very beneficial – you can learn from each other as well as from your tutor.
Erwan Noblet is currently pursing a Graduate degree in Music Pedagogy. He is a native French speaker who is available on Tutor Trac to help students with French language and Singing in French. He is available at the following times: Monday 10am-12pm, 1pm-4pm, Wednesday 2pm-4pm, Thursday 2pm-6pm and Friday 2pm-6pm.
Sarah Kitts is currently pursing a Graduate degree is Music Pedagogy. She is available on Tutor Trac to help students with voice and pitch control. She is available at the following times: Monday 10am-2pm, 6pm-10pm, Tuesday 10am-2pm, 4pm-10pm, Wednesday and Thursday 10am-2pm, and Friday 7pm-10pm.
What To Know About Tutoring At SU
Learning Link Tutors at Shenandoah
of students who receive tutoring earn a C or better
Average GPA of students who receive tutoring
of students who receive tutoring earn a A or B
Average GPA of students who met with a tutor 5 times or more
The cost of receiving Learning Link tutoring at SU
The tutor that was provided to me by Shenandoah University gave me the tools I needed in order to get my grade from a D to an A in the space of four weeks. Without the help of my tutor, I would not have been able to achieve an A!”
Maureen Brock | Transfer Nursing
Having a tutor solidified my grasp on certain tricky concepts.”
Talen Hartman | Music Production & Recording Technology major