The Going Global First Year Seminar (FYS) Program needs student mentors!
Interested in becoming a student mentor for the fall 2021 semester? Applications open NOW!
FYS student mentors assist faculty members by serving as advisors to first-year students on the transition into university life and as academic tutors in one of the Going Global First-year seminar sections in the Fall 2021. As such, each mentor acts as a liaison between the student and instructor and helps to build a “Class of 2025” community.
- Must be a Sophomore, Junior or Senior with at least an overall GPA of “B”
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent leadership skills
- Mandatory completion of training in social transition and academic tutoring techniques on a
weekend during Spring semester; date TBD.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Attend all classes of his/her assigned course during the fall 2021 term (MWF 2 – 2:50 or TTH 2 – 3:15)
- Assist instructor to develop and maintain academic interest and enthusiasm
- Support the instructor in designing and delivering out-of-class learning experiences
- Be available for student consultation outside of class hours
- Lead class discussions or exercises on topics approved by the mentor and instructor
- Participate in FYS program wide events as your schedule allows, such as Open Houses, Welcome Week, tabling for FYS events in the student center, etc.
- student mentors receive a $1050.00 stipend
- student mentors will receive all required books for the assigned section
How to apply?
There are three parts of the application:
- Letters of recommendation (form required and attached) from at least two FACULTY members — electronic — to Jana Mangubat at email@example.com. (2021-FYS-MENTOR-RECOMMENDATION-FORM)
- A one page letter addressed to the FYS committee explaining why you want to be a student mentor and what qualifies for you for the position.
- Much of what makes a great mentor are aspects of unique personalities that cannot be put into words. Each application must include a ONE MINUTE iMovie that demonstrates what makes you awesome and unique. Be creative.
ALL materials must be received by February 8, 2021. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted – applications MUST be complete to be considered. Your letter, two recommendations and a link to your iMovie must be emailed to Jana Mangubat at firstname.lastname@example.org. Your iMovie should be shared via your google drive or a youtube link as part of your letter. The list of mentors will be announced by Spring break.
Any questions? Please feel free to contact Dr. Amy Sarch at email@example.com or 542-6534.