The Going Global First Year Seminar (FYS) Program needs student mentors!
Interested in becoming a student mentor for the fall 2023 semester? Applications open NOW!
FYS student mentors assist faculty members by serving as advisors to first-year students on the transition into university life and as academic tutors in one of the Going Global First-year seminar sections in the Fall 2023. As such, each mentor acts as a liaison between the student and instructor and helps to build a “Class of 2027” community.
- Must be a Sophomore, Junior or Senior with at least an overall GPA of “B”
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent leadership skills
- Mandatory completion of training in social transition and academic tutoring techniques on a
weekend during Spring semester; date TBD.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Attend all classes of his/her assigned course during the fall 2023 term (MWF 2 – 2:50 or TTH 2 – 3:15)
- Assist instructor to develop and maintain academic interest and enthusiasm
- Support the instructor in designing and delivering out-of-class learning experiences
- Be available for student consultation outside of class hours
- Lead class discussions or exercises on topics approved by the mentor and instructor
- Participate in FYS program wide events as your schedule allows, such as Open Houses, Welcome Week, tabling for FYS events in the student center, etc.
- student mentors receive a $1,050.00 stipend
- student mentors will receive all required books for the assigned section
How to apply?
There are three parts of the application:
- Two letters of recommendation from SU faculty and/or staff. Must include at least one recommendation from SU faculty member/classroom instructor (someone who can speak to your performance as a student).
Please use this FYS Mentor Recommendation Form link.
- A one page letter addressed to the FYS committee explaining why you want to be a student mentor and what qualifies for you for the position.
Please submit your one page letter and your video using this FYS 2023 Mentor Application link.
- Much of what makes a great mentor are aspects of unique personalities that cannot be put into words. Each application must include a ONE MINUTE iMovie that demonstrates what makes you awesome and unique. Be creative.
Please submit your one page letter and your video using this FYS 2023 Mentor Application link
ALL forms must be submitted by Monday, January 30, 2023. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted – applications MUST be complete to be considered. If you have any questions about the application process or cannot access the links please contact Leann Curley at email@example.com or call the FYS office at 540-665-4620. For more information about becoming an FYS mentor please feel free to contact Dr. Bryan Pearce Gonzales, Director, Going Global First Year Seminar at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The list of mentors will be announced by Spring break.