SOAR Fall 2018 Trips
Check back in October for our full list of Spring 2019 trips.
SOAR offers everything from Indoor Climbing, Hiking, Whitewater Rafting, Skiing, Indoor Skydiving, Paddling, Mountain Biking, Caving, and everything in between. We’ll teach you the skills you need to go on all of the explorations, and make sure you have the equipment you need to explore the best of the Shenandoah Valley.
The SOAR program aims to introduce the campus community to a wide range of outdoor activities for all skill levels that promote self-awareness and self-esteem, cultivate personal growth, develop interpersonal and outdoor leadership skills and strengthen the SU community. Participants develop basic skills for safe and environmentally responsible exploration of natural resources in the Shenandoah Valley and beyond. SOAR educates and inspires individuals to be responsible stewards of the natural world while engaging in adventure recreation and sustainability initiatives.
Follow us on Facebook, and tag your outdoor adventures on Instagram with #SUOutdoors.
See a trip you like? Sign up on IMLeagues.com. Fall 2018 trips will open up for enrollment August 1st, 2018!
Instructions for how to sign up for a trip are located below. Get more information by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Everyone is welcome on our SOAR trips and no prior skills are needed. All trips are designed with beginner levels in mind.
Spring 2018 Outdoor Trips
|Whitewater Rafting||Sep. 15th||12:00pm – 6:00pm||$40|
|Sunset Hike||Sep. 22nd||4:00pm – 10:00pm||$15|
|Paddle the Shenandoah River||Sep. 29th||9:00am – 4:00pm||$20|
|Indoor Climbing||Oct. 7th||11:30am – 6:30pm||$15|
|Niagara Falls Break Trip||Oct. 12th-15th||Overnight||$150|
|Apple Picking at Marker-Miller||Oct. 18th||3:00pm – 6:00pm||Free|
|Indoor Climbing||Oct. 20th||11:30am – 6:30pm||$15|
|Sunrise Hike||Oct. 28th||4:00am – 10:00pm||$15|
|Harper’s Ferry Haunted Hike||Nov. 2nd||6:00pm – 11:00pm||$15|
|Ziplining||Nov. 10th||11:00am – 5:00pm||$60|
|Caving at Whiting’s Neck||Nov. 17th||12:00pm -6:00pm||$20|
|Indoor Climbing||Dec. 2nd||11:30am – 6:30pm||$40|
How to Register
- Go to IMLeagues.com and create an account
- Remember to select Shenandoah University as your school/university
- Once you have registered go to the fitness classes tab
- You will see a list of trips and dates you can register for
- Click on the trip you are interested in and follow the steps to register and pay
- If your trip is full, contact us at the email below to be put on the waitlist. Feel free to look around and see if there are any other trips that suit your needs.
- Registration is on first come, first served basis.
- Trips that require payments are not reserved until payment has been made through the IMLeagues webpage
- No refunds will be issued for any reason, unless the trip is cancelled.
- Pre-trip meetings are required. You should not sign up unless you can also make the meeting. Pre-trip meetings and dates will be noted on trips that require them.
- Return times are estimates. Due to the nature of outdoor activities, trip may return earlier or later than the listed times
Every Thursday in the Fall 2018 Semester/ Hammocks & Slacklines on the Quad
For the entire Fall semester hammocks and slacklines will be set up on the Quad every Thursday from 11am-4pm. Weather permitting of course. Come on out and hang with us. Contact SOAR at email@example.com for more information.
Tuesday Sep. 4th – Friday Sep. 7th / How to Register for a Trip on IMLeagues
Trying to sign up for outdoor adventure trips on IMLeagues? Come to the Brandt Student Center to learn how on Tuesday September 4th to Friday September 7th from 10:00am – 2:00pm. The first 20 people to sign up for a trip on IMLeagues will receive an outdoorsy prize. Be sure to ask about our SOAR regular programs where you can get a T-shirt and nalgene water bottle. For more information contact SOAR Coordinator Katie Hecker at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Monday Sep. 10th – Friday Sep. 14th / How to Register for a Trip on IMLeagues
Trying to sign up for outdoor adventure trips on IMLeagues? Come to the Brandt Student Center to learn how on Monday September 10th to Friday September 14th from 10:00am – 2:00pm. The first 20 people to sign up for a trip on IMLeagues will receive an outdoorsy prize. Be sure to ask about our SOAR regular programs where you can get a T-shirt and nalgene water bottle. For more information contact SOAR Coordinator Katie Hecker at email@example.com.
Thursday, September 13th / SOAR S’mores Night
Let’s make some more s’mores together! SOAR will be roasting s’mores on Thursday, September 13th from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. on the sidewalk near the Brandt Student Center. For more information, contact SOAR at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Monday Oct. 1st – Friday Oct. 5th / How to Register for a Trip on IMLeagues
Trying to sign up for outdoor adventure trips on IMLeagues? Come to the Brandt Student Center to learn how on Monday October 1st to Friday October 5th from 10:00am – 2:00pm. The first 20 people to sign up for a trip on IMLeagues will receive an outdoorsy prize. Be sure to ask about our SOAR regular programs where you can get a T-shirt and nalgene water bottle. For more information contact SOAR Coordinator Katie Hecker at email@example.com.
Thursday, October 11th / SOAR S’mores Night
Let’s make some more s’mores together! SOAR will be roasting s’mores on Thursday, October 11th from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. on the sidewalk near the Brandt Student Center. For more information, contact SOAR at firstname.lastname@example.org.
SOAR is pleased to be able to offer students, faculty, staff, and alumni the opportunity to rent outdoor equipment for their adventures.
When you have read over the gear rental policies, you can make a request for equipment and set up a appointment to pick up your gear at email@example.com. All equipment requests must be made at least 48 hours in advance of your scheduled pick up time.
|Equipment||Rental Fee||Replacement Fee|
|2 Person Tent||$5||$300|
|4 Person Megamid (Tent)||$5||$350|
|6 Person Tent||$5||$500|
|8 Person Tent||$3||$200|
|Internal Frame Pack with Cover||$3||$300|
|*Sleeping Bag Stuff Sack||$3||$170|
|Sleeping Pad (foam)||$2||$25|
|**Stove (MSR Windpro II)||$3||$100|
|**Coleman Stove (2 burner)||$4||$120|
|Cook Kit with Cup, Bowl, and Spoon||$2||$95|
|Water Tube with Life Vest||$2||$25|
|Hammock (Eno Single Nest)||$3||$70|
*Includes sleeping bag and liner
**Fuel for stoves is not provided, but staff will provide you with information on where you can purchase it yourself.
***Use is limited to SU property.
A late fee of $1 per item per day will be charged for each day the equipment is not returned.
A cleaning fee of $10 will be charged for wet or improperly cleaned gear.
SOAR Gear Rental Policy
SOAR owns equipment and gear that is available for the use and benefit of the Shenandoah community. In consideration for the benefits received, the renter(s) assumes all risk for any damages or injuries that may be sustained to either person or property while using SOAR’s equipment. SOAR equipment may be used solely in accordance with the following conditions:
- SOAR equipment is for personal use by Shenandoah community members, and is rented on a first come first served basis.
- SOAR equipment is issued “as is,” and any renter may reject or refuse to use SOAR equipment.
- Each person who borrows and uses SOAR equipment is assumed to have the knowledge and training to use the equipment in a safe manner.
- While SOAR will strive keep equipment in usable condition, each renter who borrows SOAR’s equipment assumes the risks of using equipment that may have been used repeatedly and extensively by other renters. Each renter is expected to familiarize themselves with the specific equipment being borrowed and to check the equipment before use.
- Renters are expected to report promptly to the SOAR Coordinator or Gear Manager, any problems relating to the condition or usability of SOAR equipment.
- Renters should set up an appointment to check out gear by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, at which point they will also set up an appointment to return gear.
- Renters will be assessed a fine for lost or damaged equipment at the current retail price of that equipment. Equipment that is kept by a renter for more than 14 days after the due date, without the prior agreement of the SOAR Coordinator will be assumed to be lost or stolen. Its full replacement cost will be required from the renter who borrowed it.
- Renters are expected to return all equipment clean and in useable condition. Tents, packs, sleeping bags, etc. should be wiped clean and dry, but never laundered. Stoves should be free from all food and food traces; and pots, pans and utensils should be scrubbed clean. Clothing and sleeping bag liners must be laundered. Fire Pits must be cleaned and free from excess burned material. A cleaning fee of $10 will be charged for wet or improperly cleaned gear.
- A late fee of $1 per item per day will be charged for each day the equipment is not returned.
Student Guide Service
Want to take your residents, club members, co-workers, or other campus group on an outdoor trip, but don’t know where to start?
SOAR can help! We offer a free student guide service to members of the SU community.
Steps to Booking a Trip
- To book a trip, email email@example.com four weeks prior your trip. We will not accommodate any trip made last minute.
- The SOAR Coordinator will match you with two student guides. If no guides are available, we will work with you to find an alternative date.
- You will meet your SOAR Guides to determine what it is you want to do.
- SOAR Guides will plan your trip and help you make bookings for any services your group wants to use.
- SOAR Guides will accompany you on the trip and help you to have the best experience possible!
SOAR Trip Staff
Looking for a way to build leadership, marketable job skills, and spend more time outdoors? SOAR is always looking for students to become trip leaders. All that’s needed is a desire to educate and a love of adventure.
Interested in becoming one of SOAR’s trip staff? Send us an email! We’re always looking for new student employees. No prior experience is needed.
Not able to fit a SOAR trip into your busy schedule? Grab a friend and go on your own time or with members of SU’s Outdoor Adventure Club.
Welcome to Shenandoah University’s SOAR Program!
At SOAR, we strive to get students outside to experience the great outdoors. We have trips planned for every semester that are open to the student public, but just in case you miss one or can’t attend, here’s a list of things to do in preparation of your
Step 1: Trip Planning
What would you like to do? Is it backpacking, hiking, rock climbing, kayaking, or something else?
In this planning process, it is vital that you have a set plan as to what you would like to do, and how you plan on doing it. Check the toggle below for ideas.
Step 2: Organization
Trips should always be conducted in a safe manner. Organizing them before hand can help! This step includes fulfilling all of the means necessary to ensure that your trip is safe and successful. Under construction. More to come!
Step 3: Finalization
Trips should be fun! Completing the planning process and finalizing your plans gives you the chance to look forward to your trip. This step reminds you of a few things to do before leaving for your trip. Under construction. More to come!
Click here for a list of some materials you need to go backpacking.
Click here for a list of some materials you should have in your first aid kit.
Click here for a list of some materials you need for a day hike.
The Shenandoah Valley has many opportunities for you to get outside that are all within easy driving distance of Winchester. Check out these local outdoor adventure activities and locations!
Need new boots, a water bottle, or a backpack? Check out Mountain Trails here is Winchester.
Remember to plan your adventures responsibly.
The links above are for informational purposes. SOAR and Shenandoah University is not responsible for non-University sanctioned trips.
Outdoor Leadership & Education Instructor | Shenandoah Outdoor Adventure & Recreation Coordinator