Position: Associate Professor of Accounting
Ph.D., Bond University (Australia)
Before joining Shenandoah University School of Business as an Associate Professor of Accounting in the fall of 2019, Dr. Mulyadi held a position at Chapman University, California. He assumes the Full Professor rank in the fall of 2023.
Dr. Mulyadi, holding a Ph.D. in Accounting, has a keen interest in the intersection of analytics, AI, and accounting technology. He brings this perspective into his teaching in accounting and business analytics courses at Shenandoah University School of Business.
In his most recent research entitled “Machine Learning in Accounting: Insight from the March 2023 Bank Failures”, forthcoming in 2023, he employed automated machine learning techniques and the Local Interpretable Model-Agnostic Explanations method to identify key accounting features that could explain the bank failures. His current research focuses on the impact of AI in accounting, the use of social media for non-financial disclosures, and corporate governance in developing countries and family- and state-owned businesses.
Dr. Mulyadi is also an active voice in the media who frequently contributes to discussions on current trends and advancements in accounting, AI, and analytics. His most recent writings include:
- “Navigating the promise and peril of AI,” Accounting Today, May 24, 2023. In this piece, he discusses how accountants must strategize to address the opportunities presented by AI and the risks.
- “Let’s face the AI future with courage,” The Northern Virginia Daily, May 9, 2023. This article emphasizes the need for professionals, like accountants, to embrace adaptability and continuous learning to thrive amidst rapid changes in the AI-driven era.
- “For accountants, AI is like spreadsheets in the 1980s,” Financial Times, April 14, 2023. In this piece, Dr. Mulyadi draws parallels between the transformative impact of spreadsheets in the 1980s and the potential of AI in today’s accounting industry.
- “AI will attract more students to accounting,” The Wall Street Journal, April 11, 2023. In this article, he discusses how AI can revolutionize accounting by automating tasks, allowing accountants to focus on higher-level work, and integrating analytics for informed decision-making.
- “Using business analytics to generate value,” The Winchester Star, March 16, 2023.
Here, Dr. Mulyadi underscores the importance of business analytics in generating value from data, also highlighting how business analytics courses offered at Shenandoah University School of Business equip students with practical skills to aid businesses in decision-making.