Electronic refund checks are available to students who receive financial aid in excess of the amount necessary to cover tuition, fees, and room and board charges. Electronic refund checks are also available to students who overpay, receive alternative loans, or withdraw within the first 60% of the term and have a credit balance after all adjustments to tuition and financial aid have been processed.
Federal Student Financial Aid regulations require that the University refund any financial aid funds that are credited to a student’s account in excess of the cost of tuition, fees, and room and board. The date that electronic refund checks are issued each term varies based upon the Federal Regulations for refunding Title IV aid. The refund disbursement dates for the fall and spring terms are typically two-three weeks from a term begin date. The refund dates for the summer terms depend on the start date of the course(s) for which you are enrolled. If financial aid is awarded after the start date of the term in the fall and/or spring terms or the start date of your course(s) in the summer terms, an electronic refund check will be issued within 7 to 14 days of the award being applied to your student account.
Bank account information must be entered in Hornet Hub 3 weeks prior to the start of the term. In order to receive an electronic refund check, students must log in to Hornet Hub and enter your bank account information following these steps:
- Log in to Hornet Hub
- Select Student Finance
- Select Financial Information tab
- Select Student Refund Banking Information link.
- Click on Add an Account
- The Effective Date will auto-populate with today’s date. Click Next.
- Complete the following fields: Account Nickname, Country of Bank, Routing Number, Bank Account Number, Re-enter Bank Account Number, Account Type.
- IMPORTANT NOTES:
- Direct deposit refunds are only valid with United States bank accounts. You must have a United States bank account in order to participate. International Students will need to open a local bank account. ATMs for Wells Fargo and BB&T are available in the Brandt Student Center.
- You can find your bank information listed on your check, on your bank statement or you may request direct deposit information from your bank.
- If you would like for the refund to go to your parent, please enter your parent’s banking information instead of your own.
- Refunds may only be deposited into ONE bank account.
- If your bank account information changes you will need to add a new account, as you are unable to edit existing accounts. If this change is made outside of the required dates for bank account information entry, your first disbursement may be delayed or issued by alternate means.
- You will receive an e-mail notification when the direct deposit e-check process has been completed. Depending on individual bank processing times, please allow up to 4 business days from the E-Check date for your funds to appear in your bank account. If you do not receive the funds in the allotted 4 days or if you have additional questions, please contact Hornet Central at (540) 665-4514 or email@example.com.
- Sample of where to obtain information from your check:
- IMPORTANT NOTES:
- Review the information you have entered for accuracy.
- After you have entered all of the required information, read the terms and conditions.
- Check “I agree to the terms and conditions” and click Save.
- A screen reflecting your active accounts will now pop up. (Please note that your account’s verification status will remain “Not Verified” until the University has confirmed that this is a valid bank account. Please be aware that the validation process only confirms that the account is valid, not the specific owner of the account. Per the terms and conditions, you are responsible for the accuracy of your bank account information.)
- Sign out of Hornet Hub