Clinical Education Faculty Privileges
SU PT values the contributions of the clinical faculty and offers the following to enhance clinical practice and student teaching.
- A visit by the DCE/ADCEs, when requested or needed, provides the chance to meet and discuss issues of concern, and provide mentorship as needed.
- On a yearly basis, SU PT offers a course on a selected topic of interest, at a discount to clinical faculty.
- An inservice on a topic related to clinical education is available from the DCE/ADCEs as requested or needed.
- On a yearly basis, and based on the number of students mentored at a clinical facility, the clinical faculty can select a textbook which the Division of Physical Therapy will purchase for the facility library.
CI certification training
- The Division of Physical Therapy offers the American Physical Therapy Association Clinical Instructor Certification course to clinical faculty.
- The Division of Physical Therapy core faculty is available for consultation regarding:
- clinical questions based on area of expertise.
- development of research questions and projects.
Annual Clinical Instructors Workshop
- Clinical faculty are invited to an annual clinical education meeting provided by the Mid-Atlantic Consortium of Clinical Education.
Clinical Education Advisory Panel (CEAP)
- Clinicians, CCCEs, facility administrators, are invited to SU PT for a yearly meeting to discuss clinical education issues of concern and specific needs of the clinical education community.
Affiliate Clinical Faculty
- Yearly one or more CIs can be appointed as Affiliate Clinical Faculty. To do so, the CI must do one of the following:
- Clinical Instructor for one 2:1 clinical internship of at least 8-weeks
- Clinical Instructor for one ICE AND one 12-week clinical internship
- Clinical Instructor for two 2:1 ICE
- Actively participated in publishable research with SU student and/or faculty
- Term – annually, automatically renewed for each academic year the clinical faculty member provides qualified volunteer teaching service.
- The CI receives:
- Discounted tuition for discipline specific continuing education workshops/seminars sponsored by The School of Health Professions.
- Faculty identification card
- Faculty discounts at SU Bookstore
- Access to SU Library and databases
Clinical Education Faculty Rights
Clinical Education Faculty will:
- Receive written guidelines regarding the expectations for student performance for the clinical experience.
- Be given timely notification of student placements.
- Supervise students utilizing guidelines from the SU Division of Physical Therapy.
- Assess student performance using the guidelines from the Division and appropriate guiding documents of the PT profession.
- Discharge students if unsafe to patients and/or self.
- Receive support from the Division if a student needs to be removed from the clinic for unsafe or incompetent practice.
- Provide input to the Division regarding the CET, and the clinical and didactic portions of the curriculum.
- Determine the appropriate number and time frame(s) of student clinical placements.
- Have access to the DCE/ADCEs for mentorship and to enhance clinical teaching.
- Receive written evaluative information from the student at the completion of the clinical experience