Undergraduate Conservatory Audition Guidelines
All audition confirmation materials will be sent to the applicant via the student e-mail as listed on the application.
Undergraduate Application Process
- Complete the Undergraduate Application for Admission
- Musical Theatre applicants must complete a prescreening audition. Strict deadline to apply and submit a prescreening was December 1, 2021. Applicants will be notified of prescreening results, on a rolling basis via the email address listed on their application. You may not schedule an audition until you have been contacted with your prescreening results. Prescreen submissions will be accepted beginning September 16.
- Submit official high school transcripts from each institution attended
- Optional: Submit official SAT or ACT test scores
- Register for an Audition via our Audition Registration Form. Audition dates are limited and may fill and close well in advance of the audition date. Audition Registration will open on September 27. Virtual audition registration will be available on October 1.
Changes Due to COVID-19
As federal, state and local approaches to combatting the spread of COVID-19 evolve over the coming year, it may become necessary for Shenandoah Conservatory to modify the ways in which auditions and interviews are held. Core program requirements will not be altered.
- Non-musical theatre applicants are encouraged to submit application materials and register for the audition/portfolio review concurrently.
- No audition will be scheduled without submission of the Shenandoah University Application for Admission and the audition will not be confirmed until all application materials have been received.
Musical Theatre applicants must first submit a recorded video prescreening audition.
The strict deadline for application and prescreen submission was
December 1, 2021.
No tapes, DVDs, YouTube videos, or submissions through other websites will be accepted. Prescreening audition selections must follow the Undergraduate Conservatory Audition Guidelines. Prescreen submissions will be accepted beginning September 16.
Applicants who successfully pass the recorded prescreening audition will be invited to complete a live audition with the Shenandoah Conservatory faculty.
Undergraduate Audition Dates
Registrations for auditions must be received at least two weeks prior to the audition date. Again, the audition registration will not be confirmed until all admissions materials have been received.
For On Campus audition dates:
Whenever possible, auditions, interviews and portfolio reviews will be held live on campus, but opportunity for virtual and recorded submissions are offered.
Your audition day will include:
- Meeting with faculty within your major area of interest to discuss curriculum specifics, performance opportunities, and any other questions you may have.
- Admissions information covering topics such as the application process, GPA requirements, AP, IB and dual enrollment credits and more.
- Financial Aid information covering scholarships, grants and FAFSA information.
- Speaking with current students about their Shenandoah experience.
Voice applicants (all majors): piano accompaniment will be provided for all on campus auditions.
Woodwind, Brass, Strings, Percussion, Piano applicants (all majors): accompaniment is not required.
All virtual auditions will take place in Zoom software. You must download the Zoom application and all updates prior to your audition date.
Applicants are strongly recommended to complete their audition live, virtual on one of the offered virtual audition dates.
Whenever possible, auditions, interviews and portfolio reviews will be held live on campus or online via Acceptd’s online platform, Audition Room. Students with internet stability issues or audition day conflicts may email Admissions (email@example.com) to request to submit a recorded audition or alternative interview date. Virtual Audition registration will open on October 1.
It is strongly recommended that applicants verify the requirements with their admissions counselor prior to submitting a recorded audition.
Musical Theatre DOES NOT accept recorded auditions.
Submit a video recording electronically through the Shenandoah University Recorded Audition Form.
Videos must be prepared following the Shenandoah Conservatory Undergraduate Audition Guidelines and may be produced with home recording equipment; studio-quality recording is not necessary. We will NOT accept any other type of recorded audition.
Admission decisions are sent to students in early March for students who have applied for the fall semester. Review of applications and subsequent admission status notification continues until all programs are full.
View the 2022 Undergraduate Conservatory Information Booklet:
Fall Semester/Spring Semester Applications
Shenandoah Conservatory accepts applications and admits students to all conservatory programs in the Fall (August) semester. Shenandoah accepts applications for some programs for the Spring (January) semester depending on availability. Applicants are encouraged to contact the Office of Admissions to determine if their program of interest has openings for the spring semester.
Not sure what to major in?
Find a major that fits your instrument, and learn more about your instrument’s faculty.
If you have questions about our admission or audition process, we invite you to call, text or email us so we can help you navigate the process and prepare as best possible for your audition.