- Student registration for Double Reed Day is $20
- Students will be mailed an SU Double Reed Day keepsake shirt either before or after the event (depending on registration date).
- After completing the online registration form, registrants will receive an email from firstname.lastname@example.org containing attendance links and instructions for online payment.
- Attending parents and teachers do not pay a registration fee (but should still register) unless they would also like an SU Double Reed Day keepsake shirt.
- Special Roundtable Guests: Katherine Needleman (Principal Oboe, Baltimore Symphony Orchestra) and Garrett McQueen (activist, media personality, freelance bassoonist, Trilloquy podcast host)
- Special sessions for beginning oboists and bassoonists
- Opening recital featuring Shenandoah Conservatory faculty
- Closing double reed ensemble concert with play-along opportunities
- Instrument maintenance workshops
- Vendors offers and giveaways (mailed)
Garrett McQueen, bassoon
Garrett McQueen is a professional bassoonist and antiracism activist who specializes in using radio and podcasts to educate listeners about the history, struggles and successes of Black performers and composers in American classical music.
Katherine Needleman, oboe
Katherine Needleman joined the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra as principal oboist in 2003, the same year she won first prize at the International Double Reed Society’s Gillet-Fox Competition.
- Hodge Products
- Miller Marketing
- Aria Double Reeds
- Kristin Bertrand Woodwind Workshop
- Bocal Majority
- Capitol Cane
- TrevCo Music Publishing
Schedule of Events
|10 a.m.||Welcome & Faculty Recital|
|11 a.m.||Roundtable Discussion: Race & Gender in Oboe/Bassoon Repertoire|
|12 p.m.||Lunch Break|
|12:30 p.m.||Beginner Classes for Oboe & Bassoon
Masterclasses for Oboe & Bassoon
|1:30 p.m.||Vendor Moment|
|1:45 p.m.||Instrument Maintenance Workshop|
|2:30 p.m.||Closing Ceremony|
Questions? Contact Assistant Dean for Recruitment and Associate Professor of Bassoon Ryan Romine, D.M.A.