Position: Director of the McCormick Civil War Institute
Location: Davis Hall, 115
Phone: (540) 665-4501
Employed Since: 2017
B.S., Shenandoah University, M.A., Virginia Tech
Fields of Expertise:
- Civil War Era History
- The Old South
- Shenandoah Valley History
- Historical Memory
- Author or editor of eleven books including Civil War Legacy in the Shenandoah: Remembrance, Reunion, and Reconciliation
- Author of more than 100 articles, chapters, essays, and reviews for a variety of publications including Civil War History, Civil War Times, America’s Civil War, Hallowed Ground, Civil War Monitor, Blue & Gray, and Civil War News.
- Has appeared on C-SPAN’s American History TV, NPR’s “With Good Reason,” and served as a consultant for National Geographic’s three-part documentary series “Civil Warriors”
- Consultant for a variety of public history projects with organizations including National Park Service, Civil War Trust, and Shenandoah Valley Battlefields Foundation.
- Recipient of numerous awards for scholarship, teaching, and service including most recently (February 2016) the highest honor that can ever be bestowed upon a professor at a public or private college/university the State Council for Higher Education in Virginia’s Outstanding Faculty Award.
“I take great pride in the success of my students. Their success is my success.”
- Married to the wonderful Brandy (Helmick) Noyalas, a 2002 graduate of Shenandoah University (B.S. in History)
- His son Alexander loves Civil War history just as much as his dad