Algernon Sydney Sullivan Foundation Award
The Sullivan Scholarships will be awarded to one incoming first year per year who demonstrates exemplary personal character and commitment to service above self, in keeping with the Algernon Sydney Sullivan’s definition of noble character as the aggregate of features and traits related to ethical and moral values, including honesty, morality, ethics, integrity, responsibility, determination, courage and compassion.
To apply for the Sullivan Scholarship, please submit the following information no later than March 15th. Submitted materials will be shared with the Sullivan Selection Committee and with the Algernon Sydney Sullivan Foundation. Selection criteria will be based on the submission materials and not on academic achievement, athletic ability or financial need. Only students who have been admitted to Shenandoah University by March 1st will be considered for this award.
- A completed scholarship application (below)
- A 500 to 1000 word essay demonstrating a thoughtful reflection on your meaningful contribution to and positive impact on the community, the role of this contribution in your development and personal viewpoints, and your continued commitment to service.
- Two letters of recommendation from non-family members describing your character and your history and commitment to service-based activities.
The award may be renewed annually for up to 4 years based on the following:
- Availability of funding
- Full-time enrollment status
- Maintaining satisfactory academic progress standards
Sullivan Awardees are required to attend one weekend retreat during their first year and sophomore years, which may be funded through the Sullivan Endowment.