Ethical Reasoning & Cultural Understanding
The goal of navigating difference is to explore how humans live together in a diverse world. The studies of history, religion, race, gender, literature, language, and communication offer unique approaches in their examinations of human difference. While there are multiple methods for understanding otherness, each of the courses in this sphere provides students with the tools to become informed, compassionate, ethical global citizens. In these courses, students will have the opportunity to navigate cultural diversity, explore the power dynamics inherent in intercultural interactions, and develop the ability to think ethically in light of difference.
Ethical Reasoning Region | 3-6 Credits
Students who complete the Ethical Reasoning Region shall demonstrate the ability to:
- Identify ethical principles grounded in philosophical, religious or cultural perspectives.
- Analyze an ethical issue with attention to social and cultural difference.
- Articulate reasons for an ethical course of action.
Courses for Navigating Difference | Ethical Reasoning
- GWST 100 Gender Across Perspectives
- MCOM 211 Media Ethics
- N 319 Ethics/Genomics Nurse Practice*
- PHIL 130 Intro to Medical Ethics
- REL 101 Religion Outside of Religions
- REL 203 Religious Diversity and Civic Cooperation
- REL 202 Navigating Religious Diversity
- REL 340 Religion and Ecology
- REL/GWST 341 Sex and Gender in Religion
- SM 341 Sports Ethics
MUTH 313 Critical Consciousness and Music Experience
*This course is a disciplinary course substitution
Cultural Understanding Region | 3-6 Credits
Students who complete the Cultural Understanding Region shall demonstrate the ability to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the student’s own cultural rules and biases.
- Illustrate the complexity of cultural difference in relation to history, economics, politics, communication styles/modes or beliefs.
- Examine the power dynamics inherent in intercultural elements and how they impact the world around us today.
Courses for Navigating Difference | Cultural Understanding
- ASL 202 Intermediate American Sign Language
- FR 202 Intermediate French II
- GEO 202 Human Geography
- GER 202 Intermediate German II
- HIST 101 World Civilizations I
- HIST 102 World Civilizations II
- HIST 103 United States History I
- MULT 212 Core Western Music History II
- PSCI 103 Found Ideas Political Society
- PSCI 209 Intro to Comparative Politics
- REL 110 The Global Context of Christian Leadership
- SPAN 202 Intermediate Spanish II
- TH 351 History of Theatre I
- DA 271 History and Philosophy of Dance I