Thanksgiving Break is quickly approaching (November 25-29). Shenandoah University encourages students to take advantage of this opportunity to spend this time with friends and family.
The residence halls will CLOSE promptly at 7:00 p.m. on Tuesday, November 24th and OPEN again Sunday, November 29th, at 12:00 noon.
Before you leave for break please make sure to do the following:
- Close and lock your windows and doors
- Empty all trash from your room
- Turn off lights and other electronics (computers, televisions, etc)
- Leave your fridge plugged in, but throw away all perishable food items
- Retrieve any confiscated items (such as candles) from the RA office (please remember they are only held until break) to take home
- All ERV, ECC, RLC, UI and Parker rooms MUST leave their heat/AC unit turned on to keep the room temperature regulated (70 degrees is a good temperature)
**Please remember that students will be documented and fined for violating health and safety policies if they leave their room excessively dirty or leave trash in the room over break.
If you are requesting approval to stay in the residence halls at any time during Thanksgiving Break, please contact the Department of Residence Life no later than Wednesday, November 18th at 5pm.
Students who are unable to find other housing and need to remain on campus MUST do the following:
- Fill out a Student Account Authorization Form (no later than Wednesday, November 18th at 5pm*) in Residence Life (Cooley 216), which will charge your student account a $25 flat for staying on campus Tuesday-Saturday nights. *Students requesting to stay after the deadline will pay an additional $25 late fee
- Pay the $25 fee on your WebAdvisor account (charges will post by November 20th) or in person in Hornet Central prior to Tuesday, November 24th)
Students who are required to be on campus for classes, student teaching, or athletic practices or games over the break are exempt from the fee. However, if you fall into one of these exempt categories, the Department of Residence Life will need confirmation from a faculty member or supervisor. Residence Life will contact all athletic coaches for their lists.
Residence Life will run two shuttles each way (for residential students) to Dulles Airport and Vienna Metro station for students who need transportation. Space is limited on each shuttle and is not guaranteed. Students wishing to use the shuttle will need to sign up in person in Residence Life (Cooley 216). Students can sign up beginning Wednesday, November 11th at 9am.
Students will need to fill out a Student Account Authorization Form in Residence Life (Cooley 216), which will charge your student account a $15 shuttle fee ($30 if you choose round trip). You will then need to pay the $15 shuttle fee ($30 round trip) on your WebAdvisor account (charges will post by November 20th) or in person in Hornet Central prior to November 24th. Failure to pay will result in not being able to ride the shuttle.
Tuesday, November 24th
Shuttle 1: will depart SU at 12pm, stopping at Dulles Airport, then Vienna Metro Station.
Shuttle 2: will depart SU at 4pm, stopping at Dulles Airport, then Vienna Metro Station.
Sunday, November 29th
Shuttle 3: will pick up at Dulles Airport at 1pm, then Vienna Metro Station before returning to SU.
Shuttle 4: will pick up at Dulles Airport at 7pm, then Vienna Metro Station before returning to SU.
For those who will be on campus, please be aware of the following:
- Students are not permitted to have overnight guests during break.
- The Allen Dining Hall will not be scanning ID cards after lunch on Tuesday, November 24th.
- The first meal plan meal after break will be breakfast on Monday, November 30th.
- Flex dollars can still be used at off campus locations during break.
Please be aware that the Department of Public Safety will be coming through the halls. Any student found in the residence halls after 7:00pm who has not been approved to stay for break will be fined, face disciplinary action and possible removal from the halls.
Have a Great Break!