Position: Associate Professor
Location: Health Professions Building (HPB) #239
Employed Since: 2013
Masters of Medical Science- Wake Forest University
Bachelors of Science in Health & Exercise Science- Wake Forest University
Fields of Expertise:
- Educational interests include cultural competency and vulnerable populations
- Has served as a delegate for the Virginia Academy of Physician Assistants to the American Academy of Physician Assistants House of Delegates.
- Former certified asthma educator.
- Clinical experience in asthma, allergy, & immunology prior to becoming faculty.
- Practices clinically in pediatrics and occupational medicine
- Certified NIOSH-approved for Spirometry for Occupational Health Professionals
- Hollen C & Schempp A. Pediatrics. In: Carlson, R., Simon, A. & McMullen, B., eds. Lange Q&A for the Physician Assistant. 7th ed., New York, NY: McGraw-Hill; 2016.
- Pierce, R., Francis, E., Nowak, M., Hollen, C., Bernard, S. & Carlson, R. (2018). Students’ Perceptions of Telepresence: A cross-sectional view in health professions. In Proceedings of E-Learn: World Conference on E-Learning in Corporate, Government, Healthcare, and Higher Education(pp. 366-371). Las Vegas, NV, United States: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved October 31, 2018 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/184982/.
- American Academy of Physician Assistants
- Virginia Academy of Physician Assistants
- Physician Assistant Education Association
“There are no foreign lands. It is the traveler only who is foreign.” –Robert Lewis Stevenson
“Travel teaches tolerance.” –Benjamin Disraeli
Her most favorite thing to do is spend time with her family!
Main hobby is travel – whether domestic or abroad.
Enjoys reading, spending time outdoors, and warm weather!