Position: Assistant Professor of Nursing
Location: HLSB #153
DNP, Duke University; MSN/ANP James Madison University; RN, Centra School of Nursing; BS, Radford University
Fields of Expertise:
- Cardiac pacemakers and internal defibrillators, Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy
- Internal medicine (inpatient)
- Congestive Heart Failure
- Primary Care-pediatric through geriatric
- Vesterlund, M.*, Granger, B., Thompson, TH., Coggin, C. Tailoring your heart failure project for
success in rural areas. Journal of Quality Management in Healthcare April-June 2015 Edition.
PMID: 25830618 DOI: 10.1097/QMH.0000000000000055
- Vesterlund, M., A right to understand. The American Journal of Nursing (2008)108(2):13
77410.e1 · PubMed
Other Publications (non-refereed)
- Vesterlund, M. Respektera Varandras Kompetens [Respect one another’s expertise]. Dagens
Nyheter. Juni 2007. (Stockholm, Sweden)
2018- Our Health Magazine: Lynchburg and Southside: Outstanding Nurse Hero Award.
2015- Winner: Virginia Henderson Nursing Research Award given by Centra, Lynchburg Virginia.
2013 – Nominated by colleagues for “Women of Achievement” award given by DePaul Community Resources.
Adjunct Faculty, Longwood University and Georgetown University
‘You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.’
— John Bunyan
Board Member, Heart of Virginia Free Clinic, Farmville, VA (2018 to present).
I am married to a Swede, Jonas, and we have 2 boys, Ian and Will. After living in Sweden for 7 years, we returned to Virginia to raise our boys and spend time with my family. We recently moved to the Winchester area, where I found Shenandoah University and fell in love with it.
We love trying out new breweries, hiking trails, running trails, traveling to other countries, and going to the beach when we can. My favorite baseball team is the Nationals. I have always backed Manchester United and Munster Rugby. We have 2 dogs, Lola and Jon Snow.