Position: Associate Professor, Associate Director of the Division of Physician Assistant Studies
Location: Scholar Plaza, Loudoun
Employed Since: 2016
B.S., nutrition and dietetics, Cornell University; dietetic internship, Emory University Hospital; M.M.S., physician assistant program, Yale University School of Medicine; Ed.D., administrative leadership, Shenandoah University.
Fields of Expertise:
Clinical expertise in Cardiology, Hematology/Oncology, Nutrition and Dietetics
- PA at MedStar Good Samaritan Hospital on the telemetry monitored Heart Care Unit
- PA at Dana Farber Cancer Institute on the Pain and Palliative Care Unit
- PA in the Emergency Department at Yale-New Haven Hospital
Certified Physician Assistant
Safe Zone Facilitator
Former Certified Diabetes Educator
Bernard S, Cooke T, Hachani L, Cole T, Bernard JA. Evaluating Quality and Readability of Information on the Internet About Type 2 Diabetes and Nutrition, Journal of the American Academy of Physician Assistants. November 2018; 31(11): 41-44.
Francis E, Bernard S, Nowak M. Opportunities Abound – Future PAs Need You! Presentation for Virginia Association of Physician Assistants annual conference, July 2018, Virginia Beach, Virginia.
Nowak M, Bernard S, Francis E. Thou Shalt Not! Top 10 challenges for New Faculty, Physician Assistant Education Association online journal, published August 2017: http://paeaonline.org/category/faculty-development/
- American Academy of Physician Assistants
- Physician Assistant Education Association
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Virginia Association of Physician Assistants
- National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants
- National Commission on Dietetic Registration
- Shenandoah’s Wilkins Appreciation Award recipient, 2018
- Dana Farber Cancer Institute Impact Award recipient, 2009
“A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination.” Nelson Mandela
“Keep your eyes on the stars, and your feet on the ground.” Theodore Roosevelt
I love being outside, camping, running, biking, and swimming. I published a children’s story (just for fun) entitled, A Snowy Hand To Hold. I am happiest spending time with my husband, John, and 3 daughters, Maddie, Alex, and Robyn.