Position: Associate Professor, Associate Director of the Division of Physician Assistant Studies
Location: Scholar Plaza, Loudoun
Employed Since: 2016
B.S., nutrition and dietetics, Cornell University; dietetic internship, Emory University Hospital; M.M.S., physician assistant program, Yale University School of Medicine; Ed.D., administrative leadership, Shenandoah University.
Fields of Expertise:
Clinical expertise in Cardiology, Hematology/Oncology, Nutrition and Dietetics
- PA at MedStar Good Samaritan Hospital on the telemetry monitored Heart Care Unit
- PA at Dana Farber Cancer Institute on the Pain and Palliative Care Unit
- PA in the Emergency Department at Yale-New Haven Hospital
Certified Physician Assistant
Safe Zone Facilitator
Former Certified Diabetes Educator
Bernard, S, Burfeind, V. The subtle lisfranc injury: A case for bilateral weight-bearing radiographs, Journal of American Association of Physician Assistants, (2022).
Forster, K., Souhrada, S., Bernard, S. Graduate health professional student COVID-19 experiences: An era of uncertainty. Journal of Student Research, (2021). Vol 10(1), DOI: https://doi.org/10.47611/jsr.
Francis, E, Bernard, S, Nowak, M, Daniel, S, Bernard, J. Operating room virtual reality immersion improves self-efficacy amongst preclinical physician assistant students, Journal of Surgical Education. (2020). Vol 77(4): 947-952.
Bernard S, Cooke T, Hachani L, Cole T, Bernard JA. Evaluating Quality and Readability of Information on the Internet About Type 2 Diabetes and Nutrition, Journal of the American Academy of Physician Assistants. (2018). Vol 31(11): 41-44.
- American Academy of Physician Assistants
- Physician Assistant Education Association
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Virginia Association of Physician Assistants
- National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants
- National Commission on Dietetic Registration
- Shenandoah’s Wilkins Appreciation Award recipient, 2018
- Dana Farber Cancer Institute Impact Award recipient, 2009
“A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination.” Nelson Mandela
“Keep your eyes on the stars, and your feet on the ground.” Theodore Roosevelt
I love being outside, camping, running, biking, and swimming. I published a children’s story (just for fun) entitled, A Snowy Hand To Hold. I am happiest spending time with my husband, John, and 3 daughters, Maddie, Alex, and Robyn.