Position: Professor Emeritus, Composition and Musical Theatre; Producing Artistic Director (retired), Shenandoah Summer Music Theatre
Employed Since: 1974–2019
A.B., Barton College; M.M., D.M.A., University of Illinois
Fields of Expertise:
Composition, Musical Theatre
- Member of the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers, The Southeastern Theatre Conference, and Musical Theatre Educators Alliance-International
- Concert music performed throughout the U.S. and abroad, and recorded by Philadelphia’s Relâche Ensemble, Pittsburgh New Music Ensemble, and the Grammy Award-winning Eighth Blackbird
- Composed incidental music and provided sound design for Shenandoah plays, including The Elephant Man, The Crucible, The Diviners, To Kill a Mockingbird, Summer and Smoke, Les Liaisons Dangereuses, Metamorphoses, Peer Gynt, Angels in America, Part One: Millennium Approaches, and The Caucasian Chalk Circle
- Music director and conductor for more than 120 musicals and revues for Shenandoah Conservatory and Shenandoah Summer Music Theatre, most recently for Marat/Sade, the collegiate premiere of Green Day’s American Idiot, Mary Poppins, The King and I, The Secret Garden, All Shook Up, Chicago, Les Misérables, Into the Woods, Sweet Charity, Grease, 9 to 5, The Who’s Tommy and Assassins.
- Named Producing Artistic Director of Shenandoah Summer Music Theatre in 2015
“Art isn’t easy.” – Stephen Sondheim
Thomas Albert, Composer
Professional biography, list of works, recordings, publications, press, and contact information for Thomas Albert.