The Virginia Tuition Assistance Grant provides financial assistance to full time college and university students living in Virginia.
2021 – 2022 Award Year:
- $4,000 to eligible undergraduate students in a campus-based degree program
- $2,000 to eligible graduate students in a campus-based degree program
This grant is non-need based. Students who apply do NOT need to pay VTAG back, demonstrate financial need, or file a financial statement or application. Stated aid amounts are subject to change depending on any changes in budget.
- 2021-2022 VTAG Application
- Annual due date for applications is July 31st.
- Applications submitted after July 31st, but prior to December 1st will be considered while funds are still available.
- Details regarding the disbursement of funds can be found on the application.
- You can submit your VTAG application by fax or email.
- Fax: 540-665-5433
- Email: email@example.com
General Eligibility Requirements:
- Must be a domiciled resident of Virginia.
- Students residing in Virginia only to attend college are not considered domiciled residents.
- Be enrolled full-time as an undergraduate, graduate, or professional student.
- Students enrolled only in a certificate level program are not eligible for VTAG.
- Be enrolled in an eligible institution.
- Be enrolled in an eligible degree program (see below).
- Must complete and submit a completed application to the Shenandoah University Office of Financial Aid.
- Students who receive VTAG in the previous aid year do not need to submit a new application. Only students who have not received VTAG or who have broken enrollment should re-apply.
- VTAG Fact Sheet
- Other criteria apply, subject to change.
TAG Teacher Bonus
Undergraduate students pursuing a career in teaching are eligible for an additional $500 VTAG bonus award during their senior year.
- Must be fully accepted in an undergraduate degree program.
- Must be recognized at the senior level for the term in which the TAG Teacher Bonus award is applied, regardless of whether or not it is the student’s graduation year. If a student’s senior year extends beyond two semesters, the student may continue to receive the TAG Teacher Bonus award provided the student meets all other VTAG eligibility requirements.
- Must have a standard VTAG award disbursed in the semester in which the TAG Teacher Bonus award is disbursed. Students are ineligible for the TAG Teacher Bonus award if they are already at their VTAG lifetime limit.
Religious Degree Programs:
Some Religion and Theology programs are ineligible for VTAG funds from the State of Virginia. Please see below for the programs concerning Religion and Theology that Shenandoah University offers and their eligibility.
Eligible Theology and Religion Programs:
- Bachelor of Arts in Religion
- Religious Diversity and Leadership in Professions Certificate
Ineligible Theology and Religion Programs:
- JustFaith Christian Leadership Certificate
- Faith Seeking Justice Christian Leadership Certificate
- Bachelor of Music in Church Music
Graduate-level degree programs that are eligible for VTAG funds from the state of Virginia are restricted to Health Profession programs. Please see below for the graduate programs that Shenandoah University offers that are eligible.
Eligible Graduate Programs include but are not limited to:
- Health Professions Master’s and Doctoral Programs
Ineligible Graduate Programs include but are not limited to:
- Certificate of Healthcare Management
- Health Informatics Certificate
- The Midwifery Endorsement
- Master of Science Nursing
- Graduate Public Health Certificate
- Certificate in Music Therapy
- Performs Arts Medicine Certificate
- Family Nurse Practitioner Certificate
- Post Graduate Certificate Family Nurse Practitioner
- Nurse Midwifery Certificate
- Post Graduate Certificate Midwifery
- Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Certificate
- Post Graduate Certificate Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
- Post Graduate Certificate Adult Geriatric Nurse Practitioner
- Post Masters Certificate in Nursing Education
- Post Graduate Certificate Nursing Education