Interested in Climbing up the Management Ladder? Would you like to get an MBA but don’t have the time? MBA Essentials Certificate provides you with the foundation you need to understand the current business environment.
Whether you work in health care, manufacturing, service or public administration, you will find the MBA Essentials Certificate very useful to advance your career in management. MBA Essentials is a first step toward the full MBA. Essentials students take their courses with MBA students and admissions criteria are the same. Through 15 credits of course work in the Byrd School, you can get a feel of the MBA and earn a certificate. If you decide you can commit to the MBA after the certificate, all 15 credits count toward the MBA and you can earn your degree in just a few semesters.
The Harry F. Byrd, Jr. School of Business offers you a rich curriculum designed for busy, working adults. Study full-time or part-time attending evenings or alternating weekends at our conveniently located campuses in Winchester or Leesburg. Small classes guarantee you individualized attention with support from accomplished and caring faculty who deliver high-quality courses based on real- world experiences. Classes emphasize practical, hands-on applications that will make your MBA Essentials Certificate work for you in the marketplace.
Learn More About This Program
Our program is accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business. AACSB International accreditation is the hallmark of excellence in management and business education. It represents the highest standard of achievement for business schools worldwide, and it recognizes that the Harry F. Byrd, Jr. School of Business offers high-quality business programs. Processes are in place to ensure continuous improvement in the future. Therefore students and alumni can be proud of earning a degree from an institution that has taken its place among other world-wide leaders in business education.
Career and Salary Possibilities
Career and Salary Examples for Master of Business Administration Essentials Certificate Students:
- Sales Director: $122,000
- Senior Financial Analyst: $79,777
- Marketing Director: $36,614 - $122,449
- Senior Product Manager: $141,069
The Career Services Office provides a comprehensive range of services and resources to assist Shenandoah students in their career search. Services offered include resume and cover letter building, mock interviews, and professional dining etiquette workshops.
MBA Essentials Certificate consists of the four MBA foundation courses (ACCT 501, BUS 501, ECN 501, and MIS 511) and BUS 509 Business Applications in which the principles introduced in the MBA foundation courses are further developed, applied, and integrated using the case study method.
Completion of the certificate requires:
- completion of the five aforementioned courses, including the Business Applications course and at least two others at the Byrd School as part of this program
- passing all courses with no more than one course having a grade of "C" or lower (i.e., the others must be passed with at least a B-), and
- an average grade point average of 3.0 in the courses taken at the Byrd School.
|ACCT 501||Foundations of Accounting||3|
|BAFI 502||Foundations of Finance||1.5|
|ECN 501||Foundations of Economics||3|
|MKT 502||Foundations of Marketing||1.5|
|QM 501||Foundations of Analytics||3|
|BUS 509||Business Applications||3|
We offer two schedules:
- Evening classes meet once a week on a weeknight (Monday thru Thursday) either from 6 to 8:30 p.m. or from 6:30 to 9 p.m.
- Every-other-weekend classes meet on Friday nights and Saturdays. Friday night class is from 6 to 10 p.m., Saturday morning class from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and Saturday afternoon class from 1:30 to 5:30 p.m.
There’s a special bond between Byrd School students and their professors. Students enjoy close professional relationships with academically and professionally experienced faculty who mentor them in and out of the classroom. This remains a hallmark of a Shenandoah University business education. Students also benefit from our executive-in-residence who works with both professors and students to broaden the student’s focus beyond the classroom.
M.B.A. Program Director and Associate Professor of EconomicsFull Biography
Application and Audition Information
Graduate Applicant Materials
- Complete the Graduate Application
- Official transcript(s) from ALL post-secondary schools attended from which credit was received
- Two letters of recommendation former/current professors and/or professional colleagues
- A cover letter of intent statement of no more than one page describing your aspiration, career goals and reasons for wanting pursue a MBA
Learn more about Graduate Business Application Information